Town group’s battle
INDEPENDENT shops form a critical part of Huntingdon and its character, according to the town centre manager. The only way to maintain a town with individual character is by holding on to the independents, Emma Thornton said. It is a challenge for in
INDEPENDENT shops form a "critical part" of Huntingdon and its character, according to the town centre manager.
"The only way to maintain a town with individual character is by holding on to the independents," Emma Thornton said. "It is a challenge for independents in a competitive town centre, but this group of businesses is very much a critical part of the focus of the Town Centre Partnership."
She said businesses closed for different reasons.
"Each case is individual and recent closures have been down to staffing issues and business strategy for some shops," said Mrs Thornton. "Obviously, we are very sorry they have made the decision to move on, but the range of independents in Chequers Court, and the fact that they are opening up new shops in prime areas, highlights how the town is developing.
"As the Town Centre Partnership is a membership organisation and not a statutory provision, it is the businesses that genuinely want to get involved in improving Huntingdon who sign up."
Initiatives have included the Town Maps' Project to highlight what is on offer and the Retail Skills' Project offering specialist training to independent businesses.
- 1 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 2 Drugs uncovered in Huntingdon home
- 3 Drug Dealer from Huntingdon has been sentenced
- 4 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 5 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 6 Crafty Monkey is encouraging people to shop local this winter
- 7 London Luton Airport and NATS will go ahead with Huntingdonshire flight path
- 8 Steve's Taxis has donated more than £20,000 to Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 10 Man dies following crash on A1198 near St Ives last month