Time running out for bus pass application
PEOPLE who will be entitled to a nationwide free bus pass are urged to get their applications in to Huntingdonshire District Council by Friday December 21. The card will enable people over 60 or with certain disabilities to travel free on local off-peak b
PEOPLE who will be entitled to a nationwide free bus pass are urged to get their applications in to Huntingdonshire District Council by Friday December 21.
The card will enable people over 60 or with certain disabilities to travel free on local off-peak bus services across England from April 1 next year. It will not include coach services, though National Express's X5 service, which links St Neots and Eaton Socon with Cambridge and Bedford, does qualify.
People who have an existing pass for Cambridgeshire buses will still need to apply for the new smart card. The county pass will expire on April 1, so people without the new pass will have to pay until they get one.
"We are urging people to apply now so that we can get as full a database as possible to the card manufacturers in the new year, said Stuart Bell, HDC's transportation team leader. "All authorities across the country will be placing orders, so the cards will take some time to make.
"Of course, people can still apply after December 21, but we are urging them not to put it off."
The new passes will be posted in March.
- 1 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 2 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 3 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 4 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 5 Garages to to be replaced by affordable housing
- 6 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 7 St Ives Town Mayor visits The Filling Station and tries new Christmas Beer
- 8 A look at how people prepared for Christmas in the last 100 years
- 9 Woman dies in crash on London Road in St Ives
- 10 Huntingdon Racecourse - surviving the pandemic and then came the floods!
INFORMATION: Application forms are in District Wide, the council's newsletter. Alternatively, applicants can phone 01480 388388, download a form from the council's website or collect one from the council's customer services. Completed forms can be taken to any of these centres or posted to Pathfinder House, St Mary's Street, Huntingdon, PE29 3TN. Applications must be accompanied by a passport size photograph and proof of eligibility, details of which are on the application form.