Time running out for bus pass application
PEOPLE who will be entitled to a nationwide free bus pass are urged to get their applications in to Huntingdonshire District Council by Friday December 21. The card will enable people over 60 or with certain disabilities to travel free on local off-peak b
PEOPLE who will be entitled to a nationwide free bus pass are urged to get their applications in to Huntingdonshire District Council by Friday December 21.
The card will enable people over 60 or with certain disabilities to travel free on local off-peak bus services across England from April 1 next year. It will not include coach services, though National Express's X5 service, which links St Neots and Eaton Socon with Cambridge and Bedford, does qualify.
People who have an existing pass for Cambridgeshire buses will still need to apply for the new smart card. The county pass will expire on April 1, so people without the new pass will have to pay until they get one.
"We are urging people to apply now so that we can get as full a database as possible to the card manufacturers in the new year, said Stuart Bell, HDC's transportation team leader. "All authorities across the country will be placing orders, so the cards will take some time to make.
"Of course, people can still apply after December 21, but we are urging them not to put it off."
The new passes will be posted in March.
- 1 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 2 New business celebrates its grand opening in St Ives
- 3 St Ivo Academy celebrate the success of its star girls teams and international call ups
- 4 Huntingdon is 'prime example' of good infrastructure in region
- 5 St Ivo Dance alumnae stars in Britain's Got Talent, the West End and Comic Relief
- 6 Hunts history festival kicked off with a bang!
- 7 New archdeacon for Huntingdon and Wisbech
- 8 School project raises awareness of endangered species
- 9 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 10 Singing group will celebrate its silver jubilee with a concert
INFORMATION: Application forms are in District Wide, the council's newsletter. Alternatively, applicants can phone 01480 388388, download a form from the council's website or collect one from the council's customer services. Completed forms can be taken to any of these centres or posted to Pathfinder House, St Mary's Street, Huntingdon, PE29 3TN. Applications must be accompanied by a passport size photograph and proof of eligibility, details of which are on the application form.