This has got to be stopped’
THE Mayor of St Neots is calling time on yobs after vandals smashed picnic tables and chairs placed outside a café in the town. The Ambience café in Riverside Park has been the victim of criminal damage on almost a weekly basis over the last two months.
THE Mayor of St Neots is calling time on yobs after vandals smashed picnic tables and chairs placed outside a café in the town.
The Ambience café in Riverside Park has been the victim of criminal damage on "almost a weekly basis" over the last two months.
The latest incident took place overnight on October 22 when screws and bolts holding together a picnic table and chairs were undone and the furniture smashed. It followed an almost identical attack on Saturday, September 29.
Mayor of St Neots Councillor Bob Eaton told The Hunts Post it was "mindless vandalism" and he added: "The damage has been caused by yobs - I'm sorry but there is no other word for these people. It's absolutely disgusting that such a valuable asset is suffering from continuous vandalism.
You may also want to watch:
"The question I want asked is why are parents allowing their children to do these things and if anyone knows who is causing this damage please tell the police. Enough is enough. This sort of behaviour has got to be stopped."
The café was also vandalised on October 7 and October 9 when graffiti was sprayed on furniture outside the business. On another occasion the decking outside the café was damaged by people riding bikes over it.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Mother pleads for housing 'electrical checks' after losing children in fire
- 5 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
- 6 Bustling market town that had 64 pubs at one time
- 7 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 8 St Neots East seat announced after nail-biting three recounts
- 9 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 10 Men who threatened shop workers with an axe are jailed
Cllr Eaton said: "The owners of the café have made a real effort to smarten up the area and make it nice for the community but there are a few people who are ruining it for us all. Tables and chairs outside the café have been literally jumped on and completely destroyed, which is such a shame."
The site, which is covered by CCTV, was adapted to a café and taken over by Mandy Timur at the beginning of June.
Mrs Timur said the damage was upsetting. "We arrive at the café in the morning to find the damage, it is often heartbreaking. We think it might be kids as we do not know who else could be doing it.
"We try and repair the damaged furniture but each time we do they come back and destroy it again. It's never ending."
Cambridgeshire police say the café has experienced a "significant amount of damage".
Detective Constable Alan Gill said: "There are often a number of people hanging around this area late at night and I am appealing for any of them who may have information to come forward."
INFORMATION: Contact Det Con Gill on 0845 4564564.