The wheel deal
A boy is to cycle 140 miles to raise money for charity. Bradley Dearney, 11, from St Ives, wants to support the group that helped him when he suffered for years from a rare debilitating illness. Bradley, a pupil at Westfield Juniors, will be sponsored for
A boy is to cycle 140 miles to raise money for charity.
Bradley Dearney, 11, from St Ives, wants to support the group that helped him when he suffered for years from a rare debilitating illness.
Bradley, a pupil at Westfield Juniors, will be sponsored for the Myositis Support Group when he cycles from Whitehaven to Sunderland in four days.
The ride starts on Saturday, June 30, and Bradley will be accompanied by his dad, Mark, who with Bradley's mum, Julie, has completed the event before.
You may also want to watch:
Julie said: "Myositis means the body starts to attack itself and the main muscles deteriorate and you lose strength. Bradley was diagnosed when he was four. It is such a rare condition not many GPs have seen it and it took six months before he was diagnosed.
"He was disabled for over four years but he had treatment and daily physiotherapy and he has been clear for two years now."
- 1 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
- 2 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 3 Mother pleads for housing 'electrical checks' after losing children in fire
- 4 Men who threatened shop workers with an axe are jailed
- 5 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 6 St Neots East seat announced after nail-biting three recounts
- 7 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 8 Cambs police officer saves life of man who overdosed in park
- 9 Pretty town with lots of independent shops
- 10 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
Julie said: "For Bradley to do this, is quite a milestone for him and any money he raises be used for research to help diagnose the illness"
INFORMATION: To help Bradley raise money for the Myositis Support Group, you can visit www.justgiving.com/bradleydearnley
Picture: HELEN DRAKE 3535