The organisers of the race should have been in the dock
I HAVE followed the accident involving the army officer and female driver with increasing confusion. While she was the instrument of Major Rhys-Evans death, she was certainly not solely responsible. The others who should have been in the dock were th
I HAVE followed the accident involving the army officer and female driver with increasing confusion.
While she was the instrument of Major Rhys-Evans' death, she was certainly not solely responsible.
The others who should have been in the dock were the [competition's] governing body whose rules allowed the race, the host cycling club which arranged it, and lastly, and certainly not least, the people in Cambridgeshire police who agreed that the race could proceed despite the history of fatal accidents (and near misses) on that stretch of the A1 where whole families have been wiped out.
In my teens in the 1950s, the National Cyclists Union, of which my step-father was an official, ran time trials on the road, but on closed circuits monitored by the police. All junctions were closed-off with barriers and police signs. TTs were run regularly and safely under these rules.
You may also want to watch:
I recognise that there was less traffic but with a bit of thought there are back roads in this area over which races, under NCU style rules, could be run.
These events could also try using warning notices, have temporary lower speed limits and the inside lane coned off.
- 1 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
- 2 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 3 Parking issues in Huntingdon are a 'safety hazard' says community chairman
- 4 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 5 Stuie Delf launches new fundraising campaign in memory of his brother
- 6 Letter of the Week: 'Could we sue stores who don't enforce mask wearing'?
- 7 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 8 Child rescued from floodwater in Godmanchester
- 9 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 10 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
Why the cyclists should deliberately put their lives at risk under such abysmal conditions beggars belief.