The money to pay for loos has gone down the toilet
I AM confused why people seem to be attacking Godmanchester Town Council for closing the public toilets when the responsibility clearly lies with the district council. Alan Goff and Ann Hyams correctly write that the district council has closed the toil
I AM confused why people seem to be attacking Godmanchester Town Council for closing the public toilets when the responsibility clearly lies with the district council.
Alan Goff and Ann Hyams correctly write that the district council has closed the toilets in Godmanchester to cut their costs (Hunts Post, April 17). Is it because they have no money left after spending millions on Pathfinder House?
HDC offered to "hand over" the toilets to Godmanchester Town Council to save themselves �17,000. The town council felt unable and unwilling to take on this responsibility. To cover the cost, the town's Council Tax on residents in Godmanchester would have had to go up by 12 per cent. The town council felt this was unreasonable and said the service should be provided by the district council. It makes more sense to have one body looking after public toilets across the district.
The Liberal Democrats on the district council had identified savings that
would have kept all toilets in the district open, but the Conservatives chose to ignore these suggestions. The wife of Tory district councillor Colin Hyams says he has "spoken out" about the toilets. But did he actually vote against it at the district council or did he just follow the party line when the budget was decided?
Thanks to the Tories there is now nowhere in Godmanchester for visitors or residents to spend a penny.
- 1 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 2 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 3 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 4 Drugs uncovered in Huntingdon home
- 5 Updated details of the Christmas lights switch-on in St Neots
- 6 Drug Dealer from Huntingdon has been sentenced
- 7 London Luton Airport and NATS will go ahead with Huntingdonshire flight path
- 8 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 9 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 10 Crafty Monkey is encouraging people to shop local this winter
The people of Godmanchester should be aware that there is now a petition to ask the district council to reopen the toilets. A copy is available in most shops and similar locations around Godmanchester for people to sign.
I urge everyone to sign it.