The Gym Blog: Updates from Huntingdon Olympic Gym
A FEW weeks ago a pommel horse was delivered to one of the tallest buildings in the City of London, and taken in the lift to the roof.
A plinth was built that elevated the horse to the highest possible point, just feet away from the parapet and more than 40 floors worth of air.
Step forward one Louis Smith, Olympian, to perform a one arm handstand on one handle set on the top of that horse, overlooking the capital. It was an amazing shot and just another day in the crazy life of Louis who has been juggling similar appearances with the relentless preparation for the forthcoming World Championships in Japan in a few weeks time.
Both Louis and club mate Daniel Keatings performed well at the selection event at the end of August and, barring injury, should form part of the team that fly out to Tokyo at the beginning of October.
Prior to that the Huntingdon gymnasts have had a hectic few weeks starting with the British Championships on September 17, and then moving on to France the following Wednesday for a friendly two way international. A dash back across the Channel will see them in Basildon, Essex, the following Saturday for GB against Spain, and then it’s a final few days at the National Centre in Shropshire before flying out to Japan at the end of the week.
You may also want to watch:
The guys are now seasoned travellers and well used to living out of suitcases, and have over 50 countries notched up between the two of them over the past six years.
Luke Folwell continues his rehabilitation for a persistent shoulder injury and hopes to be back early in 2012 ready to challenge for a place during Olympic selection next June, and the junior boys and girls squads back at the club are training in earnest, already thinking about the carnival in Rio in 2016.
- 1 Woman left with a ‘bloodied nose’ in Huntingdon
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Jail for Fenstanton man who groomed teenager
- 4 Volunteers needed for memorial nature reserve
- 5 Family pay tribute to great grandfather who died in Buckden Road crash
- 6 Secret Garden Party to return after five years
- 7 Do you remember the old Megatron at Alconbury?
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Woman in her 60s 'remains in serious condition' after B1514 crash
- 10 Drug dealing pair caught thanks to eagle-eyed neighbours
Barely 10 months to go to the big event, the excitement is building!
The next report will come from Tokyo....