The dreaded A14
YOUR article on average speed cameras (December 12) interested me as an official hater of the stretch of road from Bar Hill to Huntingdon. While it is great that collisions have halved on this awful piece of road, I am amazed anyone has been caught speedi
YOUR article on average speed cameras (December 12) interested me as an official hater of the stretch of road from Bar Hill to Huntingdon.
While it is great that collisions have halved on this awful piece of road, I am amazed anyone has been caught speeding - my average speed is usually anything from 0 to 40.
My journey starts at the appallingly-designed interchange leaving the westbound A14 where it collides with the M11, ending when I breathe a huge sigh of relief and turn off at St Ives.
For a start, this is one of the worst sections for baulking by lorry drivers (usually Dutch) where they sit in the outside lane trying to pass another lorry that they don't have the power to overtake. If that doesn't slow traffic, then rubbernecking by all drivers leering at some poor car broken down or shunted in a lay-by certainly will.
I hadn't realised until I read your article that the average speed cameras were to control speeding - I had assumed it was a time trial assessing how slowly cars travel or how long they are stationary.
I have just moved to the area from Ipswich and would plan a route miles out of my way when travelling from Suffolk to the Midlands, as I dreaded this depressing stretch of road.
- 1 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 4 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 5 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 6 Drugs uncovered in Huntingdon home
- 7 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 8 Drug Dealer from Huntingdon has been sentenced
- 9 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 10 Updated details of the Christmas lights switch-on in St Neots
Since moving here I am pleased to say that I have worked out that I can exit at Bar Hill and travel via Earith to get to Needingworth. Joy.
I sincerely hope the proposed improvements will rid us of this nightmare road (with apologies to residents adversely affected).