Tesco plans to build world's first 'zero-carbon' supermarket in Ramsey
RAMSEY S new Tesco store will be built as the world s first zero-carbon store, according to the supermarket giants. Tesco is keeping details about its plans for Ramsey a secret, preferring to reveal all on Friday (June 5) in a speech by chief executive
RAMSEY'S new Tesco store will be built as the "world's first zero-carbon" store, according to the supermarket giants.
Tesco is keeping details about its plans for Ramsey a secret, preferring to reveal all on Friday (June 5) in a speech by chief executive Sir Terry Leahy at the London School of Economics.
However, according to the planning documents submitted to Huntingdonshire District Council, Tesco is proposing to have its own energy source, and build an educational eco-centre on site to promote sustainable forms of alternative energy, such as wind power.
From the outside the store is expected to look like any other Tesco. It will create about 200 jobs and be built in Stocking Fen Road, along with a petrol station, housing development and community centre.
You may also want to watch:
However, the store will have a combined heat and power plant, creating enough energy for the store and selling surplus energy back to the grid.
The building will have lots of glass to maximise natural light and the development would also incorporate a network of footpaths and cycleways, encouraging shoppers out of their cars.
- 1 Super slimmer who lost one third of her body weight crowned woman of year
- 2 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
- 3 Hunts police called to 'numerous breaches' of covid regulations
- 4 Two weeks left to respond to proposed flight path over Huntingdonshire
- 5 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 6 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
- 7 Hinchingbrooke paediatrician’s relief after getting Covid-19 vaccine
- 8 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 9 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 10 HSBC is to close its branch in Huntingdon, it has been announced
There are also plans to have plants in the grounds that encourage wildlife.
Other eco-friendly plans could include an expansion of the supermarket's carbon labelling, allowing shoppers to find out about carbon footprints for products such as milk and bread.
Tesco hopes the multi-million pound project will act as a template for its new supermarkets.
A spokesman for Tesco said the venture highlighted the supermarket chains commitment to cutting the world's carbon emissions.
He added that because of its eco-features the Ramsey store would cost more than a normal Tesco development, but its sustainability benefits was worth the extra expense.
Construction is due to start by the end of the month with the store opening in November.