Tell us: Has HDC made a profit from paarking?
PARKING charges must be “reasonable”, local government minister Brandon Lewis recently said (July 22) after campaigners won a landmark High Court case against increased charges in Barnet.
Mr Lewis said: “This Government has been very clear that parking charges are not, and should not be, a town hall stealth tax on local residents.
“We have scrapped the Labour government’s guidance which pressured councils to hike up parking charges. Indeed, making sure that car parking charges are reasonable is an important way in which councils can help support their local high streets and local shops.”
Because of this I wonder whether over recent years Huntingdonshire District Council have made ‘a profit’ on car parks resulting in a ‘stealth tax’. I feel Councillor Nick Guyatt, the HDC councillor responsible for car parking, should come forward and highlight whether car parks in HDC control make a profit or just break even.
If not, I am sure our county newspaper will be keen to find out on behalf of their readership.
You may also want to watch:
Dove House Close
- 1 Homes plan will 'breathe new life' into town
- 2 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 3 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 4 Read our focus on Ramsey town centre
- 5 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 6 Charity 130-mile trek raises over £4,000 after rare diagnosis for Hunts man
- 7 Grants handed out to help people with cancer in Hunts total £17,000
- 8 WATCH: One minute silence to honour the Duke
- 9 Best Seat in the House - Meal boxes - are they an over-priced luxury?
- 10 More Readers' Photos for this week