Tell us: Has HDC made a profit from paarking?
PARKING charges must be “reasonable”, local government minister Brandon Lewis recently said (July 22) after campaigners won a landmark High Court case against increased charges in Barnet.
Mr Lewis said: “This Government has been very clear that parking charges are not, and should not be, a town hall stealth tax on local residents.
“We have scrapped the Labour government’s guidance which pressured councils to hike up parking charges. Indeed, making sure that car parking charges are reasonable is an important way in which councils can help support their local high streets and local shops.”
Because of this I wonder whether over recent years Huntingdonshire District Council have made ‘a profit’ on car parks resulting in a ‘stealth tax’. I feel Councillor Nick Guyatt, the HDC councillor responsible for car parking, should come forward and highlight whether car parks in HDC control make a profit or just break even.
If not, I am sure our county newspaper will be keen to find out on behalf of their readership.
Dove House Close
- 1 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 2 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 3 Could you give these pets a home?
- 4 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 5 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 6 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit in St Neots
- 7 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 8 Huntingdon Racecourse - surviving the pandemic and then came the floods!
- 9 A look at how people prepared for Christmas in the last 100 years
- 10 Thousands of trees planted in green initiative