Teenager’s petrol blunder
A 16-year-old boy set himself on fire while filling a petrol canister in his back garden – and smoking at the same time. Firefighters said the boy, who managed to attract his mother s attention so she could call for help, was lucky to be alive after he wa
A 16-year-old boy set himself on fire while filling a petrol canister in his back garden - and smoking at the same time.
Firefighters said the boy, who managed to attract his mother's attention so she could call for help, was lucky to be alive after he was engulfed by a fireball.
He had been in an outbuilding at the rear of his home in Naseby Gardens, St Neots, when the petrol fumes caught light at about 5pm on Friday.
Two fire crews spent more than an hour at the scene and the outhouse was destroyed.
You may also want to watch:
A motorbike and garden furniture were also destroyed, while the house received extensive smoke damage.
Vernon Payne, watch manager at St Neots fire station, said: "To smoke while handling petrol is extremely dangerous, especially in such a confined area.
- 1 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 2 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 3 St Neots East seat announced after nail-biting three recounts
- 4 Mother pleads for housing 'electrical checks' after losing children in fire
- 5 Clifford Thomas is the new mayor of Godmanchester
- 6 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
- 7 Pretty town with lots of independent shops
- 8 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 9 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 10 Men who threatened shop workers with an axe are jailed
"It is nothing short of miraculous that he managed to escape without sustaining any injuries. He received no burns whatsoever after being totally engulfed by flames. He is very lucky indeed.
"This incident should serve as a warning to others about the dangers of handling a cigarette or any other naked flame around petrol."
The family involved declined to comment.