Survey says district is a great place to live
SOUTH Cambridgeshire has been named as one of the best places to live in the UK. Two national surveys have placed South Cambridgeshire among the nicest areas to set up home in the country. The area came 11th in the Halifax Quality of Life Survey, Octobe
SOUTH Cambridgeshire has been named as one of the best places to live in the UK.
Two national surveys have placed South Cambridgeshire among the nicest areas to set up home in the country.
The area came 11th in the Halifax Quality of Life Survey, October 2007 which compared quality of life, house prices, labour market, health, urban and physical environment and education.
Channel 4's Location, Location, Location 'Best and Worst Places to Live' survey aired live on television placed the area as the seventh best place to live.
You may also want to watch:
Residents were described as "affluent middle class professionals" who typically earn around £555 a week, almost 20 per cent higher than the national average. Crime figures were also found to be "exceptionally low".
The area was also praised for being able to cope with a "sizeable growth in housing over the last decades" but still "respect the local environment". Cambourne was praised for its eco-park and 80-acre country park.
- 1 Huntingdon drug dealer jailed after police find messages on his phone
- 2 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 3 Not one, but possibly two viaducts for St Neots!
- 4 Metro is off the cards says new mayor Dr Nik Johnson
- 5 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 6 Police warning after spate of thefts from cars in Warboys
- 7 Solar farm plan will have no impact on 'light, noise or smell'
- 8 Tickets on sale now for this summer's Shakespeare at the George
- 9 Mother pleads for housing 'electrical checks' after losing children in fire
- 10 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
Cambourne Consortium project director, David Chare, said: "Cambourne was designed to offer a fantastic environment for residents and visitors to live, work and play. The fact that this has come to fruition is tribute to everyone involved - not least the residents."
Cllr Ray Manning, leader of South Cambridgeshire District Council, said: "These surveys show what we already know - South Cambridgeshire is a great place to live."
The only downside noted was that there is "very little to do". Cambourne parish councillor, Roger Hume who has lived in Cambourne since April 2000, said the area offers good air and countryside.
But he added: "Services are constantly being cut though and it does not get the correct amount of Government funding. There are going to be massive infrastructure problems in the future unless funding improves."
In the Location, Location, Location survey, Edinburgh was top followed by Winchester and Epsom and Ewell.