Support adult learnng
WE need to ensure that our election candidates support of the Workers Educational Association Speak Up for Lifelong Learning Campaign. In the early years of the present Government s life, Lifelong Learning was included as a key part of national strateg
WE need to ensure that our election candidates support of the Workers' Educational Association Speak Up for Lifelong Learning Campaign. In the early years of the present Government's life, 'Lifelong Learning' was included as a key part of national strategy but it now seems to have all but disappeared.
The WEA campaign aims to help local and national politicians understand the value society gets from spending a relatively small amount of money on adult education. The campaign is not asking for more money to be spent overall, but wants to see the amount spent to be divided more evenly across different stages in people's lives - that's one of 10 proposals the campaign supports from a recent independent report called "Learning Through Life".
Those of us in the various Huntingdonshire WEA branches know from personal experience the value of adult education classes - not only for the joy of learning itself but for the benefits many students gain to their health and confidence and for the sense of community they help create.
Anyone who wants to find out more about the campaign can visit www.wea.org.uk or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Homes plan will 'breathe new life' into town
- 2 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 3 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 4 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 5 Read our focus on Ramsey town centre
- 6 Best Seat in the House - Meal boxes - are they an over-priced luxury?
- 7 Letter of the Week: Brexit gain for food bank!
- 8 Woman who died in fatal crash in Eaton Ford has been named
- 9 More Readers' Photos for this week
- 10 WATCH: One minute silence to honour the Duke