IT was back to the future in Somersham on Saturday for a grand carnival at the end of a week of festivities. This was the 30th year of the carnival, which started in 1977 to celebrate the Queen s silver jubilee, and the theme was the 1970s. Youngsters dr
IT was back to the future in Somersham on Saturday for a grand carnival at the end of a week of festivities.
This was the 30th year of the carnival, which started in 1977 to celebrate the Queen's silver jubilee, and the theme was the 1970s.
Youngsters dressed up as hippies, flower power girls and spacemen and an estimated 2,000 people turned out to enjoy the entertainment, despite the intermittent heavy showers. However, the rain held off for the carnival parade.
Treasurer of the carnival committee, Graham Siggs, said: "Last year, we had a wonderful year and most of those people turned up again this year in the rain and enjoyed themselves.
You may also want to watch:
"That's what community spirit in Somersham is all about. They realise that a lot of work goes into it and they support us come rain or shine."
Ella O'Neil was this year's carnival princess with attendants Charlotte Doswell and Amie Hammond.
- 1 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 2 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 3 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 4 The changing face of forests and woods in Huntingdonshire
- 5 Fundraising day at St Neots pub
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 8 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 9 'We want to help our market towns' - Funding plans extended due to pandemic
- 10 Huntingdon care home company scoops award in region's top 20
Kerry Baird took first prize as Asterix in the children's fancy dress, while the adult group was won by Cheryl Grant as the Queen.
The best school float was First Step Playgroup whose float was "Street Party" and the best pub or club float was the Rainbows and Brownies whose float was "1977".