IT was back to the future in Somersham on Saturday for a grand carnival at the end of a week of festivities. This was the 30th year of the carnival, which started in 1977 to celebrate the Queen s silver jubilee, and the theme was the 1970s. Youngsters dr
IT was back to the future in Somersham on Saturday for a grand carnival at the end of a week of festivities.
This was the 30th year of the carnival, which started in 1977 to celebrate the Queen's silver jubilee, and the theme was the 1970s.
Youngsters dressed up as hippies, flower power girls and spacemen and an estimated 2,000 people turned out to enjoy the entertainment, despite the intermittent heavy showers. However, the rain held off for the carnival parade.
Treasurer of the carnival committee, Graham Siggs, said: "Last year, we had a wonderful year and most of those people turned up again this year in the rain and enjoyed themselves.
You may also want to watch:
"That's what community spirit in Somersham is all about. They realise that a lot of work goes into it and they support us come rain or shine."
Ella O'Neil was this year's carnival princess with attendants Charlotte Doswell and Amie Hammond.
- 1 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 2 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 3 St Neots East seat announced after nail-biting three recounts
- 4 Mother pleads for housing 'electrical checks' after losing children in fire
- 5 Clifford Thomas is the new mayor of Godmanchester
- 6 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
- 7 Pretty town with lots of independent shops
- 8 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 9 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 10 Men who threatened shop workers with an axe are jailed
Kerry Baird took first prize as Asterix in the children's fancy dress, while the adult group was won by Cheryl Grant as the Queen.
The best school float was First Step Playgroup whose float was "Street Party" and the best pub or club float was the Rainbows and Brownies whose float was "1977".