IT was back to the future in Somersham on Saturday for a grand carnival at the end of a week of festivities. This was the 30th year of the carnival, which started in 1977 to celebrate the Queen s silver jubilee, and the theme was the 1970s. Youngsters dr
IT was back to the future in Somersham on Saturday for a grand carnival at the end of a week of festivities.
This was the 30th year of the carnival, which started in 1977 to celebrate the Queen's silver jubilee, and the theme was the 1970s.
Youngsters dressed up as hippies, flower power girls and spacemen and an estimated 2,000 people turned out to enjoy the entertainment, despite the intermittent heavy showers. However, the rain held off for the carnival parade.
Treasurer of the carnival committee, Graham Siggs, said: "Last year, we had a wonderful year and most of those people turned up again this year in the rain and enjoyed themselves.
"That's what community spirit in Somersham is all about. They realise that a lot of work goes into it and they support us come rain or shine."
Ella O'Neil was this year's carnival princess with attendants Charlotte Doswell and Amie Hammond.
- 1 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 2 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 3 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 4 Motion passed to send letter to Michael Gove after objections to incinerator plan
- 5 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 6 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 7 Mother of Rikki Neave 'told the truth and nothing but the truth', jury told
- 8 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 9 Huntingdonshire History Festival returns this summer
- 10 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
Kerry Baird took first prize as Asterix in the children's fancy dress, while the adult group was won by Cheryl Grant as the Queen.
The best school float was First Step Playgroup whose float was "Street Party" and the best pub or club float was the Rainbows and Brownies whose float was "1977".