Sufferer’s death after lethal pills was not suicide
A GODMANCHESTER man who suffered from constant headaches and stomach pains and who an inquest heard took painkillers like sweets was found dead in his bed. Geoffrey Chalk, aged 42, was found dead at Bluegate, Godmanchester, on February 15. An inquest
A GODMANCHESTER man who suffered from constant headaches and stomach pains and who an inquest heard "took painkillers like sweets" was found dead in his bed.
Geoffrey Chalk, aged 42, was found dead at Bluegate, Godmanchester, on February 15.
An inquest in Huntingdon on Thursday heard that Mr Chalk, who suffered from asthma, Crohn's disease and kidney stones, was in pain on a daily basis.
Giving evidence at her husband's inquest, Bridget Chalk, from Brampton, said: "We were married for 11 years but we separated four years ago. Geoff has always suffered from stomach pains and headaches and would often take a combination of tablets. I remember once when I had a headache he told me to take three Nurofen at once, as if it were normal."
When asked if she thought her husband, who was born in Zimbabwe, would have taken his own life Mrs Chalk said: "He never once spoke of suicide or even indicated it. He was happy with his church and was going to be baptised soon."
A post mortem carried out at Hinchingbrooke Hospital found 526mg of paracetamol and 632mg of salicylate in his blood and stomach.
- 1 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Huntingdon MP joins growing voices of dissent over Boris
- 4 New business celebrates its grand opening in St Ives
- 5 Who are the runners and riders to replace Boris Johnson as PM?
- 6 Blood donors needed urgently for session in Huntingdon
- 7 Sign up for free catalytic converter marking event
- 8 Former college site at Alconbury Weald is given new lease of life
- 9 Five bedroom house with gardens for sale in quiet village of Eaton Socon
- 10 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
Coroner David Morris said: "The medical cause of death was a mixture of paracetamol and salicylate. He was in the habit of taking a lot of painkillers, not overdosing, but taking pills like sweets. Together they proved fatal but I do not believe he intended to take his own life. I therefore record a verdict of death by misadventure, as he intended to take the tablets but he did not intend to take his own life.