Successful poll day for Hunts Tories
HUNTINGDONSHIRE Conservatives prevailed in all three of the by-elections in the district yesterday (Thursday). Andy Monk retained the Ramsey Ward on Huntingdonshire District Council left vacant by the death of Ross Muir in December. The UK Independence Pa
HUNTINGDONSHIRE Conservatives prevailed in all three of the by-elections in the district yesterday (Thursday).
Andy Monk retained the Ramsey Ward on Huntingdonshire District Council left vacant by the death of Ross Muir in December.
The UK Independence Party took second place, comfortably ahead of the Liberal Democrat candidate.
The Tories also took the two seats on Huntingdon Town Council left vacant by resignations. Claire Dutton and Michelle Turnbull will be the new councillors, polling comfortably ahead of the Liberal Democrats in a 21 per cent turnout.
You may also want to watch:
More people might have voted if the town council had remembered to order polling cards to remind voters in East Ward that an election was taking place.
Town clerk Karen Cameron said: "Voting cards are issued by Huntingdonshire District Council to the postal address of every elector, as standard in the case of all elections, with the exception of by-elections organised for town and parish councils, unless they are specifically requested.
- 1 Woman dies after car hits lamppost in Eaton Ford
- 2 Drivers escape unharmed after lorry and roadworks truck crash on A1m
- 3 Huge queues and excitement in Huntingdon as shoppers return
- 4 New Shoe Zone 'concept store' opens
- 5 Story of "poltergeist activity" at the local pub
- 6 People and businesses in St Neots 'thrilled' as lockdown eases
- 7 Tribute for inspirational transplant patient Sammi Sparke
- 8 Burglar's DNA linked to break in at Ramsey Royal British Legion Club
- 9 New secondary school for St Neots could be open by 2025
- 10 Fenstanton Youth pick up where they left off with win over Bluntisham Blasters
"As town clerk, I was not aware of this policy, nor was the council advised in the run-up to the by-election that such a policy existed, or invited to request a despatch of polling cards, despite a council resolution in 2006 to fund any provision of polling cards in by-elections organised in Huntingdon."
By the time HTC realised the omission and contacted HDC it was too late to print and despatch them, she added.
"A specific request will be made to the elections officer to issue voting cards for any future by-election."
Huntingdonshire District Council - Ramsey Ward
Andy Monk (Conservative) 626 (elected)
Robert Mumford (Liberal Democrat) 432
Peter Reeve (UKIP) 520
Graham Watkins (Labour) 67
Huntingdon Town Council - East Ward
Ann Beevor (Lab) 150
Jacqueline Buck (LD) 562
Beatrice Claire Dutton (Con) 751 (elected)
David King (Lab) 103
Patricia Shrapnel (LD) 567
Michelle Turnbull (Con) 716 (elected)