For the fifth year running, staff at Connexions – the advice centre for teenagers – have been getting involved with the Christmas shoebox appeal for children in Eastern Europe. Staff from Connexions centres across Cambridgeshire have been collecting smal
For the fifth year running, staff at Connexions - the advice centre for teenagers - have been getting involved with the Christmas shoebox appeal for children in Eastern Europe.
Staff from Connexions centres across Cambridgeshire have been collecting small toys, stationery and sweets to fill gift wrapped shoeboxes.
This week they will be sent by lorry to children in Belarus, Bosnia and Romania.
Margaret Duffield, who is coordinating the collection at Connexions in St Ives, said: "I'm really passionate about the Christmas shoebox appeal.
You may also want to watch:
"Most of us already have everything the appeal could possibly need and you don't have to give a lot to give a small child everything."
The appeal, which is organised by the charity 21st Century Child, collects gifts for children who would otherwise go without, and last year 20,000 children benefited.
- 1 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 2 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 3 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 4 'We want to help our market towns' - Funding plans extended due to pandemic
- 5 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 6 The changing face of forests and woods in Huntingdonshire
- 7 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 8 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 9 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 10 New community space opens at Alconbury Weald
INFORMATION: Connexions, which is part of Cambridgeshire County Council, provides confidential advice, guidance and personal development services to 13-19-year-olds.