Stretch of A1 between Sawtry and Alconbury is scheduled for repair work
- Credit: Archant
Motorists using the southbound carriage of the A1 between Sawtry and Alconbury have been promised a “smoother drive” once Highways England completes work over the summer to renew the surface of the road.
Work will start on Friday, July 8, at 9pm and take place 24 hours a day, seven days a week between junctions 15 and 14 of the A1(M) and A14 spur.
It will include reconstruction of the carriageway, renewal of the markings and improvements to drainage. Traffic sensors will also be installed under the surface to help monitor traffic flows more accurately.
Highways England project manager Michael Freeman said:
“Completing maintenance activities like drainage improvements and the installation of traffic sensors at the same time as the resurfacing means we won’t need to return on this section of the A1for major repairs for a long time.
“We have planned our work carefully to minimise disruptions to road users and it will be carried out when traffic flows are low.”
While the work is being carried out, there will be narrow lane running and some full road closures with fully signed diversion routes via the B1043, A1 and A14.
- 1 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 2 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 3 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 4 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 5 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 6 Mother of Rikki Neave 'told the truth and nothing but the truth', jury told
- 7 Motion passed to send letter to Michael Gove after objections to incinerator plan
- 8 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 9 Brampton Park golfers swing into action to raise money for hospice
- 10 Care home visitor limits to be lifted next week
The spokesman added that the work is dependent on suitable weather conditions and dates may be subject to change.
For the latest information about closures and diversions, please refer to the East of England weekly roadworks bulletin issued every Friday, which can be viewed at www.gov.uk/government/organisations/highways-england or visit http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/a1m-major-maintenance-junction-15-14-and-a14-m-spur/ where a work schedule will be kept up to date.