Still going strong
A ST IVES couple have this week reached their 25th year in business. Bijla and Roop Singh opened VG Food Store newsagents on Lorna Court, St Ives, on July 31, 1981 and have been part of the community ever since. Mr Singh told The Hunts Post: We love this
A ST IVES couple have this week reached their 25th year in business.
Bijla and Roop Singh opened VG Food Store newsagents on Lorna Court, St Ives, on July 31, 1981 and have been part of the community ever since.
Mr Singh told The Hunts Post: "We love this shop, we have seen good times and bad times but we still have some very loyal customers.
"St Ives is a lovely little town but it's not too small and we love living here."
You may also want to watch:
Bijla and Roop married in India in 1969 before moving to St Ives in 1970.
The couple sold their home to fund the purchase of the shop in 1981 and have never looked back since.
- 1 ‘The most glamorous christening the vicar had ever seen!’
- 2 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 3 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 4 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 5 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 6 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 9 Plea to hold a Macmillan Coffee Morning as sign-ups drop
- 10 Wanted woman accused of killing children in M1 crash could be in Huntingdon
The Singhs, who have five children, are celebrating their quarter century with competitions and prizes for customers.
Mr Singh, said: "I've seen many changes in St Ives over the years and it's been interesting to see the new trends in what the customers buy.
"It's definitely got more difficult to run a shop because of the competition - when we opened we were the only shop in town that opened late.
"It's different now - everyone opens late these days - but we're still here.