Still going strong
A ST IVES couple have this week reached their 25th year in business. Bijla and Roop Singh opened VG Food Store newsagents on Lorna Court, St Ives, on July 31, 1981 and have been part of the community ever since. Mr Singh told The Hunts Post: We love this
A ST IVES couple have this week reached their 25th year in business.
Bijla and Roop Singh opened VG Food Store newsagents on Lorna Court, St Ives, on July 31, 1981 and have been part of the community ever since.
Mr Singh told The Hunts Post: "We love this shop, we have seen good times and bad times but we still have some very loyal customers.
"St Ives is a lovely little town but it's not too small and we love living here."
Bijla and Roop married in India in 1969 before moving to St Ives in 1970.
The couple sold their home to fund the purchase of the shop in 1981 and have never looked back since.
- 1 Evidence of Huntingdon's past revealed during excavations
- 2 BID's new Huntingdon town manager
- 3 Bypass and junction improvements preferred plan for St Ives
- 4 Camp Beagle protestor has charges against him dropped
- 5 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 6 St Neots man in court on drugs charges
- 7 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 8 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 9 Anglian Water seeks funding to secure the future of an ancient Sea Monster
- 10 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
The Singhs, who have five children, are celebrating their quarter century with competitions and prizes for customers.
Mr Singh, said: "I've seen many changes in St Ives over the years and it's been interesting to see the new trends in what the customers buy.
"It's definitely got more difficult to run a shop because of the competition - when we opened we were the only shop in town that opened late.
"It's different now - everyone opens late these days - but we're still here.