Still going strong
A ST IVES couple have this week reached their 25th year in business. Bijla and Roop Singh opened VG Food Store newsagents on Lorna Court, St Ives, on July 31, 1981 and have been part of the community ever since. Mr Singh told The Hunts Post: We love this
A ST IVES couple have this week reached their 25th year in business.
Bijla and Roop Singh opened VG Food Store newsagents on Lorna Court, St Ives, on July 31, 1981 and have been part of the community ever since.
Mr Singh told The Hunts Post: "We love this shop, we have seen good times and bad times but we still have some very loyal customers.
"St Ives is a lovely little town but it's not too small and we love living here."
You may also want to watch:
Bijla and Roop married in India in 1969 before moving to St Ives in 1970.
The couple sold their home to fund the purchase of the shop in 1981 and have never looked back since.
- 1 Homes plan will 'breathe new life' into town
- 2 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 3 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 4 Read our focus on Ramsey town centre
- 5 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 6 Charity 130-mile trek raises over £4,000 after rare diagnosis for Hunts man
- 7 Grants handed out to help people with cancer in Hunts total £17,000
- 8 WATCH: One minute silence to honour the Duke
- 9 More Readers' Photos for this week
- 10 Best Seat in the House - Meal boxes - are they an over-priced luxury?
The Singhs, who have five children, are celebrating their quarter century with competitions and prizes for customers.
Mr Singh, said: "I've seen many changes in St Ives over the years and it's been interesting to see the new trends in what the customers buy.
"It's definitely got more difficult to run a shop because of the competition - when we opened we were the only shop in town that opened late.
"It's different now - everyone opens late these days - but we're still here.