Statue idea is 'Truly inspirational'
I ADMIT to being blown away by Ramsey artist Derek Massey s huge figure of a man leaping off a pommel horse (The Hunts Post, March 25). It is a truly inspirational idea, and would make an imaginative bid for the East of England art work. This sculpture co
I ADMIT to being blown away by Ramsey artist Derek Massey's huge figure of a man leaping off a pommel horse (The Hunts Post, March 25). It is a truly inspirational idea, and would make an imaginative bid for the East of England art work.
This sculpture could well prove to be Huntingdonshire's Angel of the North in lifting the human spirit, and its beauty touches a nerve. For me it epitomises the joy and achievement of the Olympic athlete and links it with the past, present and future of the games.
I like the appropriate use of ancient bog oak, which is so much a part of Fen history, and the man made of iron links with the iron railway track alongside which the sculpture would be placed, high on Holme Fen.
What a thrill for the passengers on the London-Edinburgh trains to see this iconic figure leaping past their carriage windows.
Why not call the sculpture The Flying Leaper of the East?
The proposal to raise sorely-needed money for the Huntingdon Olympic Gym, where Louis Smith and other athletes train, is a worthy one and to be commended.
- 1 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 2 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit
- 3 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 4 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 5 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 6 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 7 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 8 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 9 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 10 Huge spike in safety complaints due to 'bedroom sellers' during pandemic
I wish Derek Massey every success in his bid, and I urge many others to join me in endorsing it whole-heartedly.
GRACE R ADAMS