Statue idea is 'Truly inspirational'
I ADMIT to being blown away by Ramsey artist Derek Massey s huge figure of a man leaping off a pommel horse (The Hunts Post, March 25). It is a truly inspirational idea, and would make an imaginative bid for the East of England art work. This sculpture co
I ADMIT to being blown away by Ramsey artist Derek Massey's huge figure of a man leaping off a pommel horse (The Hunts Post, March 25). It is a truly inspirational idea, and would make an imaginative bid for the East of England art work.
This sculpture could well prove to be Huntingdonshire's Angel of the North in lifting the human spirit, and its beauty touches a nerve. For me it epitomises the joy and achievement of the Olympic athlete and links it with the past, present and future of the games.
I like the appropriate use of ancient bog oak, which is so much a part of Fen history, and the man made of iron links with the iron railway track alongside which the sculpture would be placed, high on Holme Fen.
What a thrill for the passengers on the London-Edinburgh trains to see this iconic figure leaping past their carriage windows.
You may also want to watch:
Why not call the sculpture The Flying Leaper of the East?
The proposal to raise sorely-needed money for the Huntingdon Olympic Gym, where Louis Smith and other athletes train, is a worthy one and to be commended.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Lorry driver who 'couldn't stand up' was three times over drink-drive limit
- 4 Fantastic snow photos from our Hunts Post readers
- 5 Ramsey schoolgirl names new housing development
- 6 Help for dog owners who bought puppies in lockdown
- 7 Man who drove lorry while three times over the drink-drive limit has been jailed
- 8 Hunts police called to 'numerous breaches' of covid regulations
- 9 Dad uses own mental health struggles to support other men
- 10 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
I wish Derek Massey every success in his bid, and I urge many others to join me in endorsing it whole-heartedly.
GRACE R ADAMS