Statue idea is 'Truly inspirational'
I ADMIT to being blown away by Ramsey artist Derek Massey s huge figure of a man leaping off a pommel horse (The Hunts Post, March 25). It is a truly inspirational idea, and would make an imaginative bid for the East of England art work. This sculpture co
I ADMIT to being blown away by Ramsey artist Derek Massey's huge figure of a man leaping off a pommel horse (The Hunts Post, March 25). It is a truly inspirational idea, and would make an imaginative bid for the East of England art work.
This sculpture could well prove to be Huntingdonshire's Angel of the North in lifting the human spirit, and its beauty touches a nerve. For me it epitomises the joy and achievement of the Olympic athlete and links it with the past, present and future of the games.
I like the appropriate use of ancient bog oak, which is so much a part of Fen history, and the man made of iron links with the iron railway track alongside which the sculpture would be placed, high on Holme Fen.
What a thrill for the passengers on the London-Edinburgh trains to see this iconic figure leaping past their carriage windows.
You may also want to watch:
Why not call the sculpture The Flying Leaper of the East?
The proposal to raise sorely-needed money for the Huntingdon Olympic Gym, where Louis Smith and other athletes train, is a worthy one and to be commended.
- 1 Woman dies after car hits lamppost in Eaton Ford
- 2 Drivers escape unharmed after lorry and roadworks truck crash on A1m
- 3 Huge queues and excitement in Huntingdon as shoppers return
- 4 New Shoe Zone 'concept store' opens
- 5 Story of "poltergeist activity" at the local pub
- 6 People and businesses in St Neots 'thrilled' as lockdown eases
- 7 Tribute for inspirational transplant patient Sammi Sparke
- 8 Burglar's DNA linked to break in at Ramsey Royal British Legion Club
- 9 New secondary school for St Neots could be open by 2025
- 10 Fenstanton Youth pick up where they left off with win over Bluntisham Blasters
I wish Derek Massey every success in his bid, and I urge many others to join me in endorsing it whole-heartedly.
GRACE R ADAMS