Statue idea is 'Truly inspirational'
I ADMIT to being blown away by Ramsey artist Derek Massey s huge figure of a man leaping off a pommel horse (The Hunts Post, March 25). It is a truly inspirational idea, and would make an imaginative bid for the East of England art work. This sculpture co
I ADMIT to being blown away by Ramsey artist Derek Massey's huge figure of a man leaping off a pommel horse (The Hunts Post, March 25). It is a truly inspirational idea, and would make an imaginative bid for the East of England art work.
This sculpture could well prove to be Huntingdonshire's Angel of the North in lifting the human spirit, and its beauty touches a nerve. For me it epitomises the joy and achievement of the Olympic athlete and links it with the past, present and future of the games.
I like the appropriate use of ancient bog oak, which is so much a part of Fen history, and the man made of iron links with the iron railway track alongside which the sculpture would be placed, high on Holme Fen.
What a thrill for the passengers on the London-Edinburgh trains to see this iconic figure leaping past their carriage windows.
Why not call the sculpture The Flying Leaper of the East?
The proposal to raise sorely-needed money for the Huntingdon Olympic Gym, where Louis Smith and other athletes train, is a worthy one and to be commended.
- 1 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 2 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 3 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 4 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 5 13-year-old helped to rescue distressed paddleboarders
- 6 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 7 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
- 8 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 9 John Major's 'bad luck' comment is 'absolutely disgraceful' says son of victim
- 10 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
I wish Derek Massey every success in his bid, and I urge many others to join me in endorsing it whole-heartedly.
GRACE R ADAMS