St Neots charities to benefit from the stars
- Credit: Archant
STAR EFFORT: A unique Christmas tribute has generated a £1,000 for good causes in the St Neots area.
People were able to place a personalised message to their late loved ones on the St Neots town Christmas tree through the Star For A Star initiative run by Anglia Co-operative Funerals.
The Huntingdon Street funeral home launched the fundraising scheme in 2010 – and the Christmas 2012 tributes raised £561 for Mayor of St Neots, Councillor Barry Chapman’s charity fund. This was matched by the ACCF (Anglia Co-operative Community Fund), enabling funeral director Darren Barker to present a cheque for £1,122 to Cllr Chapman.
His fund this year is supporting St John’s Hospice at Moggerhanger, St Neots Coffee Pot Memory Café and St Neots Air Cadets.
Cllr Chapman said: “Star For A Star is a wonderful idea. It enables people to remember their loved ones at a special time of the year and it helps to raise a significant sum of money for local causes. It was extremely generous of the ACCF to match the money raised at Christmas. I hope to have raised around £9,000 with my fund this year when my term of office ends in May – over the two years my fund will have raised about £20,000, with a significant contribution coming from Star For A Star.”
You may also want to watch:
The three causes will receive an equal share from the Mayor’s fund in May.
Pictured: Funeral director Darren Barker presents the £1,122 cheque to Mayor of St Neots Cllr Barry Chapman.
- 1 Two weeks left to respond to proposed flight path over Huntingdonshire
- 2 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
- 3 Hunts police called to 'numerous breaches' of covid regulations
- 4 Hinchingbrooke paediatrician’s relief after getting Covid-19 vaccine
- 5 HSBC is to close its branch in Huntingdon, it has been announced
- 6 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
- 7 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 8 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 9 Super slimmer who lost one third of her body weight crowned woman of year
- 10 Child rescued from floodwater in Godmanchester