St Ives's lunchtime litter trail
I AM afraid that the Broadway in St Ives in not the only problem area in the town although I would agree with your correspondent Krissel Jones (April 16) that the HDC employees generally do a good job. However, as a taxpayer, I resent the fact that so muc
I AM afraid that the Broadway in St Ives in not the only problem area in the town although I would agree with your correspondent Krissel Jones (April 16) that the HDC employees generally do a good job.
However, as a taxpayer, I resent the fact that so much money has to be spent on the task of litter picking - money, that would be much better spent on improving the state of our roads and pavements that, in St Ives, are in a terrible state.
Far too many children these days appear to have no regard for the appearance of the town or village where they live. Most school days there is a lunchtime litter trail from the shops in Kings Hedges up Chestnut Road, across the open space and into Beech Road, which is made by pupils of St Ivo School. Quite a bit of the litter is chucked into people's gardens. In that short distance there are no fewer than four litter bins.
Residents of California Road tell me they have a similar problem that is caused by children on their way to the outdoor centre.
When these children grow up, some of them will join the band of litter louts who chuck things out of their car windows. The verges and ditches along the A14, for instance, are in a disgraceful state.
- 1 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 4 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 5 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 6 Hinchingbrooke Hospital get share of £4.5m to 'improve care'
- 7 Hundreds gather to see Santa on The Quay in St Ives
- 8 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 9 St Ives man undergoes pioneering heart treatment
- 10 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
St Ives Liberal Democrats