St Ives's lunchtime litter trail
I AM afraid that the Broadway in St Ives in not the only problem area in the town although I would agree with your correspondent Krissel Jones (April 16) that the HDC employees generally do a good job. However, as a taxpayer, I resent the fact that so muc
I AM afraid that the Broadway in St Ives in not the only problem area in the town although I would agree with your correspondent Krissel Jones (April 16) that the HDC employees generally do a good job.
However, as a taxpayer, I resent the fact that so much money has to be spent on the task of litter picking - money, that would be much better spent on improving the state of our roads and pavements that, in St Ives, are in a terrible state.
Far too many children these days appear to have no regard for the appearance of the town or village where they live. Most school days there is a lunchtime litter trail from the shops in Kings Hedges up Chestnut Road, across the open space and into Beech Road, which is made by pupils of St Ivo School. Quite a bit of the litter is chucked into people's gardens. In that short distance there are no fewer than four litter bins.
Residents of California Road tell me they have a similar problem that is caused by children on their way to the outdoor centre.
When these children grow up, some of them will join the band of litter louts who chuck things out of their car windows. The verges and ditches along the A14, for instance, are in a disgraceful state.
- 1 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 2 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 3 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 4 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 5 John Major's 'bad luck' comment is 'absolutely disgraceful' says son of victim
- 6 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 7 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 8 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 9 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
- 10 Garden railway raises money for 3 Pillars
St Ives Liberal Democrats