St George for fair play and tolerance
ON April 23 we will celebrate St George s Day, England and Englishness. The defining characteristic of Englishness is an obsession with fair play and tolerance and the refusal of intolerance in others. For hundreds of years our country has attracted peopl
ON April 23 we will celebrate St George's Day, England and Englishness. The defining characteristic of Englishness is an obsession with fair play and tolerance and the refusal of intolerance in others.
For hundreds of years our country has attracted peoples from across the globe because of that characteristic and continues to today. The English and other British peoples have risked and continue to risk their lives to defend us against those who seek to impose their views on others.
It is tolerance that makes Englishness adaptable to change. We may not have suffered military invasion since 1066, but we have absorbed influences from across the globe.
A simple illustration is England's cosmopolitan choice of food from Chinese, Indian and Italian to even fish-and-chips, which originated in Portugal. People from those countries may say our versions of their foods are different, but that misses the point. Eating a curry, England's' favourite dish, made to English tastes, is a light-hearted example of how the English adapt.
You may also want to watch:
St George was a Christian, and English culture and law are based on Christian values. The English must not, at the drop of a hat, cast out a culture developed peacefully over centuries to accommodate uncompromising liberal demands.
So, why does potty St Neots Town Council refuse to fly the English flag?
- 1 Not one, but possibly two viaducts for St Neots!
- 2 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon
- 3 Nurses Day 2021: You thank our dedicated Hunts nurses for their care
- 4 Paedophile exposed in undercover police operation
- 5 Woman stole from terminally-ill mother
- 6 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 7 Huntingdon drug dealer jailed after police find messages on his phone
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Pasco Hussain is named as the new mayor of St Ives
- 10 Metro is off the cards says new mayor Dr Nik Johnson
Let's use those expensive flag poles at the Priory throughout next year to show St Neots is proud to be English. Next week we should all celebrate St George, England and St Neots.
Secretary, Royal Society of St George
St Neots area branch