Sports centre delayed
PERMISSION has been granted for Cambourne s sports centre to be completed nine months later than expected. It had been hoped that the multi-million pound sports centre for Back Lane would be completed in March 2009. However, South Cambridgeshire Distric
PERMISSION has been granted for Cambourne's sports centre to be completed nine months later than expected.
It had been hoped that the multi-million pound sports centre for Back Lane would be completed in March 2009.
However, South Cambridgeshire District Council (SCDC) have now granted permission for the developers to move the completion date to December 2009.
David Chare, project director for Cambourne Consortium of Developers, said the March 2009 date had become "unachievable".
You may also want to watch:
Mr Chare said: "There is concern by the banks responsible for financing the project through Leisure Connection that SCDC will take action when the sports centre fails to open in March."
He added that the December 2009 completion date was more "achievable and realistic".
- 1 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Hot air balloon 'makes surprise appearance' at primary school
- 3 Interactive map shows Covid Indian variant cases in Huntingdonshire
- 4 Landmark A14 viaduct demolition is captured on camera
- 5 A fund has been set up in memory of Nathan Cowell
- 6 MP warns EWR rail bosses of 'significant impact' of project
- 7 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 8 St Neots Covid vaccination centre is on the move
- 9 Colourful benches have been placed in St Neots
- 10 Body discovered in Hartford believed to be missing Nathan
On Wednesday (November 5), SCDC planners said: "It is simply unfortunate that the financial climate has caused this delay."
The sports centre will include a swimming pool, sports hall, 100-station gym, dance studio, cafe and health suite with a solarium, steam room and sauna.
Building work is expected to start on the site within three weeks.