Sports centre delayed
PERMISSION has been granted for Cambourne s sports centre to be completed nine months later than expected. It had been hoped that the multi-million pound sports centre for Back Lane would be completed in March 2009. However, South Cambridgeshire Distric
PERMISSION has been granted for Cambourne's sports centre to be completed nine months later than expected.
It had been hoped that the multi-million pound sports centre for Back Lane would be completed in March 2009.
However, South Cambridgeshire District Council (SCDC) have now granted permission for the developers to move the completion date to December 2009.
David Chare, project director for Cambourne Consortium of Developers, said the March 2009 date had become "unachievable".
You may also want to watch:
Mr Chare said: "There is concern by the banks responsible for financing the project through Leisure Connection that SCDC will take action when the sports centre fails to open in March."
He added that the December 2009 completion date was more "achievable and realistic".
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 3 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 4 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 5 Fundraisers hit £400,000 milestone after month of charity challenges
- 6 Wanted woman accused of killing children in M1 crash could be in Huntingdon
- 7 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 8 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 9 Spuds in a bucket competition at the gardening club
- 10 Awards for firm celebrating 10th anniversary
On Wednesday (November 5), SCDC planners said: "It is simply unfortunate that the financial climate has caused this delay."
The sports centre will include a swimming pool, sports hall, 100-station gym, dance studio, cafe and health suite with a solarium, steam room and sauna.
Building work is expected to start on the site within three weeks.