Sports centre delayed
PERMISSION has been granted for Cambourne s sports centre to be completed nine months later than expected. It had been hoped that the multi-million pound sports centre for Back Lane would be completed in March 2009. However, South Cambridgeshire Distric
PERMISSION has been granted for Cambourne's sports centre to be completed nine months later than expected.
It had been hoped that the multi-million pound sports centre for Back Lane would be completed in March 2009.
However, South Cambridgeshire District Council (SCDC) have now granted permission for the developers to move the completion date to December 2009.
David Chare, project director for Cambourne Consortium of Developers, said the March 2009 date had become "unachievable".
Mr Chare said: "There is concern by the banks responsible for financing the project through Leisure Connection that SCDC will take action when the sports centre fails to open in March."
He added that the December 2009 completion date was more "achievable and realistic".
- 1 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 2 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 3 New bridal shop is childhood dream for Michelle
- 4 Motion passed to send letter to Michael Gove after objections to incinerator plan
- 5 Community help plant new trees in St Neots park
- 6 Lack of NHS dentists see people resorting to 'Victorian' teeth pulling
- 7 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 8 Home of the week: Updated Victorian semi-detached house with garden for sale in St Neots
- 9 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 10 Trainee chef reaches finals of national competition
On Wednesday (November 5), SCDC planners said: "It is simply unfortunate that the financial climate has caused this delay."
The sports centre will include a swimming pool, sports hall, 100-station gym, dance studio, cafe and health suite with a solarium, steam room and sauna.
Building work is expected to start on the site within three weeks.