Speed cameras and 60mph limit announced for A1
- Credit: Archant
THE Highways Agency has agreed to lower the speed limit on the A1 to 60mph between Buckden and Southoe and will be enforcing it with speed cameras.
The announcement follows a long-running campaign for safety measures led by people living in the two villages, as well as Diddington.
David Abbott, an HA asset manager, said: “We are aware that there have been concerns about safety along this stretch of road and we are very pleased to be have secured funding to make safety improvements here.
“The new speed limit and average speed cameras will cover the A1 between Buckden and 300 metres south of Lees Lane, Southoe.
“This will help to manage traffic flows along the A1 through the villages of Buckden, Diddington and Southoe and address recent safety concerns, especially at the Southoe Bends.
You may also want to watch:
“We will begin design work on the scheme shortly and expect it to be fully operational by summer 2014.”
- 1 Woman dies after car hits lamppost in Eaton Ford
- 2 New Shoe Zone 'concept store' opens
- 3 People and businesses in St Neots 'thrilled' as lockdown eases
- 4 Drivers escape unharmed after lorry and roadworks truck crash on A1m
- 5 Woman who died in fatal crash in Eaton Ford has been named
- 6 Story of "poltergeist activity" at the local pub
- 7 Huge queues and excitement in Huntingdon as shoppers return
- 8 For sale: Period property in Somersham has been lovingly restored with particular attention to detail
- 9 New griddle restaurant opens in St Neots
- 10 Tribute for inspirational transplant patient Sammi Sparke