Specialists restore forgotten path
A SPECIALIST team of map and countryside experts has found and restored a lost footpath at Southoe, near St Neots. The path was identified as a right of way during research by Cambridgeshire County Council as part of its Lost Highways Project. The route
A SPECIALIST team of map and countryside experts has found and restored a lost footpath at Southoe, near St Neots.
The path was identified as a right of way during research by Cambridgeshire County Council as part of its Lost Highways Project.
The route to Great Staughton was set out on the Southoe Inclosure Award of 1799, but at some time in the past 200 years has disappeared from modern maps. However, 18 months after its rediscovery, it has been included on the Definitive Map and is being used by local people.
The original path at Southoe crossed an arable field, and officers from the countryside access team worked in partnership with landowners to move the path to the edge of the field.
You may also want to watch:
This new footpath, with an additional link, allows either a long or shorter circular walk around Southoe village. The new route also links to a bridleway providing access to Great Staughton and wonderful views of the Ouse Valley, CCC says.
The aim of the Lost Highways Project is to save and register old public paths that will improve the rights of way network. Officers work closely with landowners to find ways of restoring potential routes that also satisfy the needs of modern farming and land management.
- 1 Landmark A14 viaduct demolition is captured on camera
- 2 St Neots Covid vaccination centre is on the move
- 3 Colourful benches have been placed in St Neots
- 4 Body discovered in Hartford believed to be missing Nathan
- 5 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 6 Car crashes into safety barriers as driver flees scene
- 7 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 8 Burglars used paving slabs and sledge hammers to smash into homes
- 9 Paedophile offered 'naked massages' to undercover police officer
- 10 Buckle hits half-century but Hunts boys fall to Northants defeat