Song Entry: Tom Tilbury
THIS week s song competition entry comes from Fenstanton s Tom Tilbury. Emerald Cit is a melancholy acoustic track with Neil Young-influenced harmonica and a little Oasis-esque shuffling acoustic guitar. However, it s not the discreetly borrowed sounds t
THIS week's song competition entry comes from Fenstanton's Tom Tilbury.
Emerald Cit is a melancholy acoustic track with Neil Young-influenced harmonica and a little Oasis-esque shuffling acoustic guitar.
However, it's not the discreetly borrowed sounds that leave the biggest impression. Listen to this track a few times and you can't help but conclude that he's borrowed these legend's songwriting skills for a productive weekend.
The verses work nicely, they're enjoyably awkward and sleepy - but it's the chorus that just hits all the right notes. "Your green, green eyes shining like the Emerald City skies - Dorothy take me for a ride in your tornado tonight." It's childishly simple, childishly dreamy - again leaning towards Neil Young.
It's catchy, but sung and played with perfect tone - for all the rich melody in the chorus it's not oversold - in fact it's sung with a brave sense of restraint and loss. I'm trying to be as restrained with my own words in summation - but to say it's anything less than amazing just would just be inaccurate.
- 1 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 House set alight in Brampton
- 4 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 5 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 8 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 9 Sawtry homes plan is approved
- 10 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer