Song Entry: Tom Tilbury
THIS week s song competition entry comes from Fenstanton s Tom Tilbury. Emerald Cit is a melancholy acoustic track with Neil Young-influenced harmonica and a little Oasis-esque shuffling acoustic guitar. However, it s not the discreetly borrowed sounds t
THIS week's song competition entry comes from Fenstanton's Tom Tilbury.
Emerald Cit is a melancholy acoustic track with Neil Young-influenced harmonica and a little Oasis-esque shuffling acoustic guitar.
However, it's not the discreetly borrowed sounds that leave the biggest impression. Listen to this track a few times and you can't help but conclude that he's borrowed these legend's songwriting skills for a productive weekend.
The verses work nicely, they're enjoyably awkward and sleepy - but it's the chorus that just hits all the right notes. "Your green, green eyes shining like the Emerald City skies - Dorothy take me for a ride in your tornado tonight." It's childishly simple, childishly dreamy - again leaning towards Neil Young.
You may also want to watch:
It's catchy, but sung and played with perfect tone - for all the rich melody in the chorus it's not oversold - in fact it's sung with a brave sense of restraint and loss. I'm trying to be as restrained with my own words in summation - but to say it's anything less than amazing just would just be inaccurate.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Mother pleads for housing 'electrical checks' after losing children in fire
- 5 Bustling market town that had 64 pubs at one time
- 6 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
- 7 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 8 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 9 St Neots East seat announced after nail-biting three recounts
- 10 Men who threatened shop workers with an axe are jailed