Song Entry: Tom Tilbury
THIS week s song competition entry comes from Fenstanton s Tom Tilbury. Emerald Cit is a melancholy acoustic track with Neil Young-influenced harmonica and a little Oasis-esque shuffling acoustic guitar. However, it s not the discreetly borrowed sounds t
THIS week's song competition entry comes from Fenstanton's Tom Tilbury.
Emerald Cit is a melancholy acoustic track with Neil Young-influenced harmonica and a little Oasis-esque shuffling acoustic guitar.
However, it's not the discreetly borrowed sounds that leave the biggest impression. Listen to this track a few times and you can't help but conclude that he's borrowed these legend's songwriting skills for a productive weekend.
The verses work nicely, they're enjoyably awkward and sleepy - but it's the chorus that just hits all the right notes. "Your green, green eyes shining like the Emerald City skies - Dorothy take me for a ride in your tornado tonight." It's childishly simple, childishly dreamy - again leaning towards Neil Young.
You may also want to watch:
It's catchy, but sung and played with perfect tone - for all the rich melody in the chorus it's not oversold - in fact it's sung with a brave sense of restraint and loss. I'm trying to be as restrained with my own words in summation - but to say it's anything less than amazing just would just be inaccurate.
- 1 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton
- 2 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 3 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 4 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 5 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 6 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 7 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 8 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages in Huntingdonshire
- 10 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation