SONG COMPETITION WINNERS: Mark and Jimmi in the studio
AFTER their appearance on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire, winners of the first Almost Famous songwriting competition, Mark Wilks and Jimmi Proctor, spent Saturday using one of their prizes wisely with a day s recording at Fast Tracks studio in Wilburton. Along
AFTER their appearance on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire, winners of the first Almost Famous songwriting competition, Mark Wilks and Jimmi Proctor, spent Saturday using one of their prizes wisely with a day's recording at Fast Tracks studio in Wilburton.
Alongside studio owner/engineer Paul Maguire, and engineer/session musician Richard 'Spud' Spooner, the duo recorded a rock song called Setting Sun.
I arrived at the studio not long after midday, and already by then they had been working for over two hours on the recording. "I didn't realise how much goes into recording," Mark told me. "It's a bit different to recording in my bedroom."
From what I heard, all the hard work seemed worthwhile.
Even though I was there in the early stages of their process, the electric, catchy Setting Sun is sure to win over further admirers.
Alongside the inventive guitar playing of Proctor and Wilks' distinctive vocals, bass and drums (played by Spud) were added on.
- 1 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 2 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 3 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 4 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 5 Beagle puppies freed at MBR Acres after second day of action
- 6 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 7 Part of The Busway set for weekend closure with diversions near St Ives
- 8 Two lorries crashed on A14 near Spaldwick
- 9 Life sentence confirmed for Rikki Neave murderer
- 10 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
Couple this with top-notch sound quality and this track should be well worth a listen.
Mark and Jimmi plan to change their name soon to This Is Mojo, and form a full band for future gigs. A new Myspace page (which will feature the recording) will be launched shortly.
As soon as we know the release date for the song we'll let you know.
n Fast Tracks Studio, a sponsor of the songwriting competition, is a new studio in Wilburton (near Ely/Haddenham) offering professional recording quality at local-band prices, along with post-production/artwork. For more information email Paul Maguire: email@example.com