SONG COMPETITION WINNERS: Mark and Jimmi in the studio
AFTER their appearance on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire, winners of the first Almost Famous songwriting competition, Mark Wilks and Jimmi Proctor, spent Saturday using one of their prizes wisely with a day s recording at Fast Tracks studio in Wilburton. Along
AFTER their appearance on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire, winners of the first Almost Famous songwriting competition, Mark Wilks and Jimmi Proctor, spent Saturday using one of their prizes wisely with a day's recording at Fast Tracks studio in Wilburton.
Alongside studio owner/engineer Paul Maguire, and engineer/session musician Richard 'Spud' Spooner, the duo recorded a rock song called Setting Sun.
I arrived at the studio not long after midday, and already by then they had been working for over two hours on the recording. "I didn't realise how much goes into recording," Mark told me. "It's a bit different to recording in my bedroom."
From what I heard, all the hard work seemed worthwhile.
You may also want to watch:
Even though I was there in the early stages of their process, the electric, catchy Setting Sun is sure to win over further admirers.
Alongside the inventive guitar playing of Proctor and Wilks' distinctive vocals, bass and drums (played by Spud) were added on.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 3 Celebration of food and drink at town's first street food festival
- 4 Prison for dealer who rammed police car
- 5 Woman stole from terminally-ill mother
- 6 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon
- 7 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 8 Not one, but possibly two viaducts for St Neots!
- 9 Nurses Day 2021: You thank our dedicated Hunts nurses for their care
- 10 Dr Nik in Ely for his first day as Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Mayor
Couple this with top-notch sound quality and this track should be well worth a listen.
Mark and Jimmi plan to change their name soon to This Is Mojo, and form a full band for future gigs. A new Myspace page (which will feature the recording) will be launched shortly.
As soon as we know the release date for the song we'll let you know.
n Fast Tracks Studio, a sponsor of the songwriting competition, is a new studio in Wilburton (near Ely/Haddenham) offering professional recording quality at local-band prices, along with post-production/artwork. For more information email Paul Maguire: firstname.lastname@example.org