Song competition: Featured entry: Mark Wilks
THE standard of songs entered so far in the competition has been exceptionally high and this week s featured entry encapsulates exactly what the competition s about. Singer and songwriter Mark Wilks explained that he intended to record a more polished ve
THE standard of songs entered so far in the competition has been exceptionally high and this week's featured entry encapsulates exactly what the competition's about.
Singer and songwriter Mark Wilks explained that he intended to record a "more polished version" of his song When We Were Young in the coming months, but listening to this version it's difficult to see how it can be bettered.
This sparse acoustic track certainly owes a huge debt to some of Oasis' best B-sides: Half A World Away and Masterplan. It opens up a can of heartfelt, brotherly nostalgia and is delivered with a perfect lonesome drawl.
My words really can't do it justice, which is why we are making this and other entries to the competition available as free downloads from the Almost Famous page of The Hunts Post website. Mark, who lives in St Neots, told me: "In the past, I've always been the frontman in a band and never found the right music with different bands to match what's in my head."
Take a listen to this fantastic song and you'll realise that he's finally found his niche in the rock world. Find more songs from Mark at: www.myspace.com/markwilks
- 1 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 2 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 3 Could you give these pets a home?
- 4 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 5 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 6 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit in St Neots
- 7 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 8 Huntingdon Racecourse - surviving the pandemic and then came the floods!
- 9 A look at how people prepared for Christmas in the last 100 years
- 10 Thousands of trees planted in green initiative