Song competition: Featured entry: Mark Wilks
THE standard of songs entered so far in the competition has been exceptionally high and this week s featured entry encapsulates exactly what the competition s about. Singer and songwriter Mark Wilks explained that he intended to record a more polished ve
THE standard of songs entered so far in the competition has been exceptionally high and this week's featured entry encapsulates exactly what the competition's about.
Singer and songwriter Mark Wilks explained that he intended to record a "more polished version" of his song When We Were Young in the coming months, but listening to this version it's difficult to see how it can be bettered.
This sparse acoustic track certainly owes a huge debt to some of Oasis' best B-sides: Half A World Away and Masterplan. It opens up a can of heartfelt, brotherly nostalgia and is delivered with a perfect lonesome drawl.
My words really can't do it justice, which is why we are making this and other entries to the competition available as free downloads from the Almost Famous page of The Hunts Post website. Mark, who lives in St Neots, told me: "In the past, I've always been the frontman in a band and never found the right music with different bands to match what's in my head."
You may also want to watch:
Take a listen to this fantastic song and you'll realise that he's finally found his niche in the rock world. Find more songs from Mark at: www.myspace.com/markwilks
- 1 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 2 Patients avoided going to the doctor out of fear of 'catching Covid'
- 3 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 4 Hoax caller flouted strict court order after just three days
- 5 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 6 'We want to help our market towns' - Funding plans extended due to pandemic
- 7 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 8 Homebirths suspended at Hinchingbrooke Hospital due to staff shortages
- 9 Huntingdon care home company scoops award in region's top 20
- 10 Olive Indian receives service award for a second year