Somewhere to slope off to . . .
YOUNG skaters in St Neots will soon be offered a place to meet and socialise during the dark winter evenings, thanks to nearly £7,000 of funding. The New Ramps Group (NRG) is set to host a skaters evening in the town, where young people can meet and shar
YOUNG skaters in St Neots will soon be offered a place to meet and socialise during the dark winter evenings, thanks to nearly £7,000 of funding.
The New Ramps Group (NRG) is set to host a skaters' evening in the town, where young people can meet and share such interests as BMX riding, graffiti art and basketball, as well as skate-boarding.
Cash totalling £6,686 from the Local Network Fund will finance a venue, youth worker and equipment such as a laptop computer and mobile telephone, to enable young people to help plan events in the town.
Chairman of the NRG, Danny Keen, said: "A skaters' night will give a safe place for the park users to get together. There is a large social side to the park that cannot be ignored and this will offer a meeting place for like-minded youngsters who love their sport to be involved, even when the park is unusable."
You may also want to watch:
A venue for the club night has not yet been agreed, but initial consultation shows that young people want to feel safe before they will attend. Options under review include the Voluntary Welfare Centre in Church Walk or Gate House Lodge near St Mary's Church.
Community development officer for Huntingdonshire District Council, Penny Litchfield, said: "The idea is that young people who use the skate park will be able to go somewhere indoors to socialise, get refreshments and develop their interests. The skaters' evening will run at regular intervals, hopefully every week."
- 1 Brampton Post Office customers say fond farewell to postmaster
- 2 Man who died in road crash is named
- 3 St Neots man banned from pubs for two years
- 4 Organic Hunts beauty company Bossy Glossy gets celebrity support
- 5 Shops, homes and office space plan for town centre building
- 6 Fish and Chip shop wins award
- 7 Free Covid testing kits now available at some pharmacies
- 8 Kimbolton business announces new CEO
- 9 Primary school earns Fairtrade status
- 10 Memories of St Neots' town centre
INFORMATION: Anyone with suggestions or views about the skaters' evening should contact Dan Keen on 07792663484.