Somewhere to slope off to . . .
YOUNG skaters in St Neots will soon be offered a place to meet and socialise during the dark winter evenings, thanks to nearly £7,000 of funding. The New Ramps Group (NRG) is set to host a skaters evening in the town, where young people can meet and shar
YOUNG skaters in St Neots will soon be offered a place to meet and socialise during the dark winter evenings, thanks to nearly £7,000 of funding.
The New Ramps Group (NRG) is set to host a skaters' evening in the town, where young people can meet and share such interests as BMX riding, graffiti art and basketball, as well as skate-boarding.
Cash totalling £6,686 from the Local Network Fund will finance a venue, youth worker and equipment such as a laptop computer and mobile telephone, to enable young people to help plan events in the town.
Chairman of the NRG, Danny Keen, said: "A skaters' night will give a safe place for the park users to get together. There is a large social side to the park that cannot be ignored and this will offer a meeting place for like-minded youngsters who love their sport to be involved, even when the park is unusable."
You may also want to watch:
A venue for the club night has not yet been agreed, but initial consultation shows that young people want to feel safe before they will attend. Options under review include the Voluntary Welfare Centre in Church Walk or Gate House Lodge near St Mary's Church.
Community development officer for Huntingdonshire District Council, Penny Litchfield, said: "The idea is that young people who use the skate park will be able to go somewhere indoors to socialise, get refreshments and develop their interests. The skaters' evening will run at regular intervals, hopefully every week."
- 1 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 2 Fundraising day at St Neots pub
- 3 Seven arrested after £70k-worth of bicycles stolen
- 4 Village job club providing vital service
- 5 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 6 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 7 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 8 New programme of events for Commemoration Hall
- 9 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 10 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
INFORMATION: Anyone with suggestions or views about the skaters' evening should contact Dan Keen on 07792663484.