Slideshow & Video: Remembrance day services 2008
REMEMBRANCE services were held across the district on Sunday with parades, church services and the laying of wreaths. On the 90th anniversary of Armistice Day when the Armistice at the end of the First World War was signed on the 11th hour of the 11th day
REMEMBRANCE services were held across the district on Sunday with parades, church services and the laying of wreaths.
On the 90th anniversary of Armistice Day when the Armistice at the end of the First World War was signed on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, record numbers turned out to watch the parades.
The ceremonies, remembering the dead of two world wars and other conflicts, were led by The Royal British Legion.
They included veteran servicemen wearing their medals. In the parades were civic dignitaries, Army and Sea Cadets, Scouts, Guides members of Boys Brigades and schools as well as general members of the public. The MP for Huntingdon, Jonathan Djanogly was at the service in St Neots. After the Remembrance Day service in Godmanchester, the Deputy Mayor, Councillor Malcolm Cohen and Councillor Richard Butcher visited the seven war graves in Godmanchester to lay commemorative remembrance crosses.
You may also want to watch:
At Hinchingbrooke School in Huntingdon, pupils held a Last Post ceremony yesterday (Tuesday) November 11 at Hinchingbrooke House.
- 1 ‘The most glamorous christening the vicar had ever seen!’
- 2 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 3 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 4 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 5 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 6 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Police find string of ponies in middle of Cambridgeshire road
- 9 Wanted woman accused of killing children in M1 crash could be in Huntingdon
- 10 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81