Singer faces Cowell in X-Factor test
A BURY mother will abandon her day job later this month to pursue her dream – and come face to face with Britain s most notorious record producer. Claudette Cherlin, whose stagename is Misdeeva, has been invited to audition for the next series of The X-Fa
A BURY mother will abandon her day job later this month to pursue her dream - and come face to face with Britain's most notorious record producer.
Claudette Cherlin, whose stagename is Misdeeva, has been invited to audition for the next series of The X-Factor. She will join thousands of other hopefuls at Wembley Conference Centre on May 16 to perform before the show's three judges - Sharon Osbourne, Louis Walsh, and, of course, Simon Cowell.
The funk/soul singer, who admits she will fall into the 'older' age category if she gets through the first round, is still in shock after receiving the audition letter from ITV.
She said: "I couldn't believe it. So many people have told me to give it a try, so I did the application and sent off a photo. I had to describe myself in 10 words so I said 'delicious, delightful' and some other stuff. If I'm honest, I didn't expect anything to come of it."
You may also want to watch:
It will be an early start for Claudette, 42, who will have to perform for the judges at 8am.
"It's not normally a good time for singing," she laughs, "but it's a chance of a lifetime and I'm just going to give it my best."
- 1 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 3 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 4 Huntingdon man found with stash of drugs and cash is jailed
- 5 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 6 Brampton's 'fantastic' village fete welcomes 4,000 revellers
- 7 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 8 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 9 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 10 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
She plans to sing one of her favourites from her set list - Candi Staton's Young Hearts Run Free - but says she is "open-minded" about her prospects. The ultimate prize in the contest is a record deal.
"It could just be the one opportunity, but then again I've seen many people worse than me get through," she said.
With a musical background in church gospel singing, Claudette first appeared on the local music scene when she joined St Ives-based Ju Ju Deluxe as a backing singer in 1994 and later fronted funk/R&B band Positivity.
Launching herself as a soloist, she performed last year at the Mayor's Ball in Huntingdon and at The George Hotel in Buckden for New Year.
Supporting her in The X-Factor quest will be husband Andrew and seven-year-old son Marcell, as well as colleagues from the St Ives technology company where she works. But if Claudette reaches the next stage of the competition, Marcell will be watching on television from the safety of their living room.
"He is very excited for me, but he says he wouldn't come to the television set as he's frightened of Mr Cowell," Claudette said.