Shops praised for crackdown on underage alcohol sales
SHOPKEEPERS across the county have been praised for heeding a campaign to reduce the sale of alcohol to children. Since September 25 Cambridgeshire County Council Trading Standards have conducted 42 test purchases for alcohol and none of the shops visited
SHOPKEEPERS across the county have been praised for heeding a campaign to reduce the sale of alcohol to children.
Since September 25 Cambridgeshire County Council Trading Standards have conducted 42 test purchases for alcohol and none of the shops visited sold to the underage volunteers.
The tests purchase operations were carried out throughout the year to ensure shops are complying with the law regarding the sale of alcohol.
County Cllr Tony Orgee, cabinet member for the economy and environment, said: "This is a very pleasing result and proves that the work being done by trading standards is really making a difference.
You may also want to watch:
"I'm pleased that when revisited, shops that previously failed have checked for ID from our volunteers and not made a sale."
Many retailers, including all of the larger supermarket chains, now have a 'Challenge 25' policy, whereby if someone trying to buy an age-restricted product appears to be under 25, they will be challenged to prove they are over 18.
- 1 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 2 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 3 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 4 Patients avoided going to the doctor out of fear of 'catching Covid'
- 5 Homebirths suspended at Hinchingbrooke Hospital due to staff shortages
- 6 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 7 Olive Indian receives service award for a second year
- 8 Hoax caller flouted strict court order after just three days
- 9 Delicious dessert shop 'Snik Snax' opens
- 10 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
INFORMATION: Anyone wanting to contact trading standards regarding underage sales should phone 01954 284635 or e-mail email@example.com