Shop back in business
A FURNITURE shop which burned down two months ago is to re-open at new premises. The fire at Countrywide Interiors, in Tower Square, Huntingdon, in the early hours of Sunday, September 23, is still being investigated as arson, police said on Monday. Propr
A FURNITURE shop which burned down two months ago is to re-open at new premises.
The fire at Countrywide Interiors, in Tower Square, Huntingdon, in the early hours of Sunday, September 23, is still being investigated as arson, police said on Monday.
Proprietor Norman Edge, right, said the business would be moving temporarily to 3 Phoenix Court, in St Margaret's Way, off Stukeley Road, Huntingdon.
The 74-year-old inventor said he expected to re-open on January 2.
He said: "It will take that long to get the stock delivered, to get samples of carpets and the beds and mattresses.
"I hope we will be at the new premises for only three months and then we can return to our original base in Tower Square.
- 1 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 4 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 5 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 6 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 7 Ex-wife of killer Colin Hill shares rape ordeal more than 30 years on
- 8 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 9 Overwhelming response to MND charity walk
- 10 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
"Once we return, we hope to go ahead with the launch of all our other projects."
He said any of his customers who had orders outstanding and had paid deposits should receive a letter this week informing them they could either have their money back or continue with their order.
The original premises were destroyed when fire ripped through the single-storey industrial unit. Sixty fire-fighters fought the blaze after the alarm was raised just after 3am.
Mr Edge said at the time: "It was definitely deliberate - the back door was open. They took what they wanted and on the way out they dropped a match."
INFORMATION: Former customers who want to contact Countrywide Interiors can write to PO Box 24, The Sorting Office, Royal Mail, St Peter's Road, Huntingdon or telephone Graham Phillips on 07825 654 758.