Sheltered homes plan
THE site of the former Brookside School in Huntingdon town centre could become home to 34 sheltered housing units and 47 flats if planners agree. Social landlord Luminus Group and builder Campbell Buchanan have submitted a joint plan for re-development of
THE site of the former Brookside School in Huntingdon town centre could become home to 34 sheltered housing units and 47 flats if planners agree.
Social landlord Luminus Group and builder Campbell Buchanan have submitted a joint plan for re-development of the existing Cromwell Square residential facility and the former Brookside site to Huntingdonshire District Council.
The proposal is for two buildings to be built in two distinct phases - an "extra care" sheltered housing scheme with 34 units and state-of-the-art support facilities would be built first, followed by the construction of 47 high-quality apartments.
The extra care accommodation is designed to help people live as independent a life as possible within the community, at the same time as providing them with a degree of unobtrusive assistance tailored to individual needs, Luminus said this week.
The sheltered scheme will be run by Luminus Oak Foundation, providing rented accommodation targeted mainly at people with mobility problems, such as wheelchair-users and older people looking for assistance with the practicalities of everyday living.
The building will include a community room with tea-making facilities and a dining room designed to seat 40 people, including wheelchair access. The home would be supported by a catering kitchen designed to provide three served meals a day. The extra care building also includes a library and hobby room, a hairdressing room and a physiotherapy room.
- 1 Historic Huntingdon building on the market for nearly £500k
- 2 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
- 3 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 5 Huntingdon bookshop gets share of £2m online profits
- 6 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
- 7 Old Bailey trial begins of Rikki Neave murder suspect
- 8 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 9 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 10 Will Young talks about handcuffing himself to the Camp Beagle gates
The apartment block is designed in a contemporary style using high quality materials and making the most of modern building techniques to provide a light and airy living space, the company added.