Serious bus option
ONE recent Friday, I phoned Whippet Coaches to check whether the 1A bus from Cambridge to Huntingdon picked up passengers from Waveney Road, St Ives, the following day at 9.30am, as per timetable, and was assured that this bus would run. I presented myse
ONE recent Friday, I phoned Whippet Coaches to check whether the 1A bus from Cambridge to Huntingdon picked up passengers from Waveney Road, St Ives, the following day at 9.30am, as per timetable, and was assured that this bus would run.
I presented myself at the bus stop on the Saturday at 9.15am in good time, but no bus turned up. I waited until 9.45am, and then walked to Ramsey Road and caught a Huntingdon and District bus.
While I stood at the Waveney Road stop, I phoned the Whippet office, but had no reply.
I have waited on another occasions for Whippet buses that also failed to turn up, and I complained to the office. When I have been waiting on Ramsey Road for other buses, I have seen or been on the Whippet bus that should have gone round to Waveney Road proceed straight to Huntingdon.
You may also want to watch:
St Ives has a very poor town circular bus service.
Indeed, it no longer goes around the top end of the town as it used to, being a one-way trip from bus station, past the industrial estate, round Marley Road and down Ramsey Road then into town via Burstellars from Kings Hedges.
- 1 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 2 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 3 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 4 Delicious dessert shop 'Snik Snax' opens
- 5 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 6 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 7 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 8 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 10 Homebirths suspended at Hinchingbrooke Hospital due to staff shortages
There is no corresponding service in reverse, so people do not use the service. There is no service at all on either Saturday or Sunday.
One has to wonder whether we are really serious about using public transport as a viable option.
JOAN NELSON, The Whistlers, St Ives