Serious bus option
ONE recent Friday, I phoned Whippet Coaches to check whether the 1A bus from Cambridge to Huntingdon picked up passengers from Waveney Road, St Ives, the following day at 9.30am, as per timetable, and was assured that this bus would run. I presented myse
ONE recent Friday, I phoned Whippet Coaches to check whether the 1A bus from Cambridge to Huntingdon picked up passengers from Waveney Road, St Ives, the following day at 9.30am, as per timetable, and was assured that this bus would run.
I presented myself at the bus stop on the Saturday at 9.15am in good time, but no bus turned up. I waited until 9.45am, and then walked to Ramsey Road and caught a Huntingdon and District bus.
While I stood at the Waveney Road stop, I phoned the Whippet office, but had no reply.
I have waited on another occasions for Whippet buses that also failed to turn up, and I complained to the office. When I have been waiting on Ramsey Road for other buses, I have seen or been on the Whippet bus that should have gone round to Waveney Road proceed straight to Huntingdon.
You may also want to watch:
St Ives has a very poor town circular bus service.
Indeed, it no longer goes around the top end of the town as it used to, being a one-way trip from bus station, past the industrial estate, round Marley Road and down Ramsey Road then into town via Burstellars from Kings Hedges.
- 1 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 2 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
- 3 Men who threatened shop workers with an axe are jailed
- 4 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 5 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 6 Cambs police officer saves life of man who overdosed in park
- 7 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 8 Election Special: Who's standing where in Huntingdonshire
- 9 'Keeping things simple' is key to business success for St Neots firm
- 10 Huntingdon business is first in UK to supply American craft beer
There is no corresponding service in reverse, so people do not use the service. There is no service at all on either Saturday or Sunday.
One has to wonder whether we are really serious about using public transport as a viable option.
JOAN NELSON, The Whistlers, St Ives