Serious bus option
ONE recent Friday, I phoned Whippet Coaches to check whether the 1A bus from Cambridge to Huntingdon picked up passengers from Waveney Road, St Ives, the following day at 9.30am, as per timetable, and was assured that this bus would run. I presented myse
ONE recent Friday, I phoned Whippet Coaches to check whether the 1A bus from Cambridge to Huntingdon picked up passengers from Waveney Road, St Ives, the following day at 9.30am, as per timetable, and was assured that this bus would run.
I presented myself at the bus stop on the Saturday at 9.15am in good time, but no bus turned up. I waited until 9.45am, and then walked to Ramsey Road and caught a Huntingdon and District bus.
While I stood at the Waveney Road stop, I phoned the Whippet office, but had no reply.
I have waited on another occasions for Whippet buses that also failed to turn up, and I complained to the office. When I have been waiting on Ramsey Road for other buses, I have seen or been on the Whippet bus that should have gone round to Waveney Road proceed straight to Huntingdon.
St Ives has a very poor town circular bus service.
Indeed, it no longer goes around the top end of the town as it used to, being a one-way trip from bus station, past the industrial estate, round Marley Road and down Ramsey Road then into town via Burstellars from Kings Hedges.
- 1 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 2 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 3 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 4 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 5 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 6 13-year-old helped to rescue distressed paddleboarders
- 7 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
- 8 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 9 John Major's 'bad luck' comment is 'absolutely disgraceful' says son of victim
- 10 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
There is no corresponding service in reverse, so people do not use the service. There is no service at all on either Saturday or Sunday.
One has to wonder whether we are really serious about using public transport as a viable option.
JOAN NELSON, The Whistlers, St Ives