See the future’ on a bus stop near you
EVEN if the bus is late, you will know when it is likely to arrive – and you will soon be able to play with the bus stop. The next generation of bus stop signs, examples of which are on show in Huntingdon and St Ives until Christmas Eve, gives passengers
EVEN if the bus is late, you will know when it is likely to arrive - and you will soon be able to play with the bus stop.
The next generation of bus stop signs, examples of which are on show in Huntingdon and St Ives until Christmas Eve, gives passengers access not just to travel information but news, weather forecasts and other items of local interest.
The development builds on experience of real time information provided at many bus stops across Cambridgeshire, which already show passengers when buses are due and expected.
The new signs are at Hartford Road, Huntingdon, opposite East Street, and Ramsey Road/Langley Close, in St Ives, in a test of public reaction for Cambridgeshire County Council.
The screen display has interactive menus and a user-friendly design as well as an audio facility. The signs will be clearly illuminated and have been made to resist abuse by vandals, the council said.
Glenn Edge, head of passenger transport, added: "These bus stop signs are truly the future of passenger transport information. This innovative new product is a vast improvement on how bus timetables are displayed around the county.
- 1 Pub regulars celebrate life of former landlord who died during pandemic
- 2 Obsessive stalker jailed for posting explicit photographs of his former partner
- 3 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 4 Rocks thrown at St Neots school building in vandal attack
- 5 Dry weather continues to impact district as pond drys up in Ramsey
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Number of bird flu cases have been confirmed in Huntingdonshire
- 8 Fun in the sun at Huntingdon Carnival 2022
- 9 Riverside Miniature Railway raises flag in record breaking year
- 10 St Ives ready for pre-season opener with Rushden & Higham
"As Transport Authority of the Year, Cambridgeshire has a reputation for innovative ideas that have led to more and more people getting on buses in the county.
"We hope people will take the time not only to use the sign but also let us know how useful they are. They can give us feedback at
www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/signofthetimes or write to us.