Scouts’ display cancelled
THE ANNUAL firework display at Brampton Racecourse has been cancelled this year because of a lack of funds. The display, which has been organised by Brampton Scouts for the past 20 years, usually makes about £3,000, enough to fund the scouts and pay for t
THE ANNUAL firework display at Brampton Racecourse has been cancelled this year because of a lack of funds.
The display, which has been organised by Brampton Scouts for the past 20 years, usually makes about £3,000, enough to fund the scouts and pay for the following year's display.
However, takings were down last year, fewer people attended and the event just broke even.
Scout leader Mike Watts said the event had been hit for two years running by roadworks.
"Last year, there were traffic tailbacks caused by the traffic lights being installed at Brampton Hut roundabout and the year before that traffic lights were being installed at Spittals.
"Last year, people knew there were long queues and they were not prepared to travel. We had a lot of people who arrived on foot but in previous years, people had travelled for miles to see our fireworks."
- 1 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 2 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 3 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 4 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 5 Beagle puppies freed at MBR Acres after second day of action
- 6 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 7 Two lorries crashed on A14 near Spaldwick
- 8 Part of The Busway set for weekend closure with diversions near St Ives
- 9 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 10 Life sentence confirmed for Rikki Neave murderer
Mr Watts said the event had also been hit last year by the display in Huntingdon at Coneygear Park, which was free.
He said they hoped that the 2008 display would go ahead.
"We have been working away to raise funds so we can put on a good display next year."
The event is the Brampton Scouts' main annual fundraiser.