Scouts’ display cancelled
THE ANNUAL firework display at Brampton Racecourse has been cancelled this year because of a lack of funds. The display, which has been organised by Brampton Scouts for the past 20 years, usually makes about £3,000, enough to fund the scouts and pay for t
THE ANNUAL firework display at Brampton Racecourse has been cancelled this year because of a lack of funds.
The display, which has been organised by Brampton Scouts for the past 20 years, usually makes about £3,000, enough to fund the scouts and pay for the following year's display.
However, takings were down last year, fewer people attended and the event just broke even.
Scout leader Mike Watts said the event had been hit for two years running by roadworks.
"Last year, there were traffic tailbacks caused by the traffic lights being installed at Brampton Hut roundabout and the year before that traffic lights were being installed at Spittals.
"Last year, people knew there were long queues and they were not prepared to travel. We had a lot of people who arrived on foot but in previous years, people had travelled for miles to see our fireworks."
- 1 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 House set alight in Brampton
- 4 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 5 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer
- 8 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 9 Sawtry homes plan is approved
- 10 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
Mr Watts said the event had also been hit last year by the display in Huntingdon at Coneygear Park, which was free.
He said they hoped that the 2008 display would go ahead.
"We have been working away to raise funds so we can put on a good display next year."
The event is the Brampton Scouts' main annual fundraiser.