Scouts’ display cancelled
THE ANNUAL firework display at Brampton Racecourse has been cancelled this year because of a lack of funds. The display, which has been organised by Brampton Scouts for the past 20 years, usually makes about £3,000, enough to fund the scouts and pay for t
THE ANNUAL firework display at Brampton Racecourse has been cancelled this year because of a lack of funds.
The display, which has been organised by Brampton Scouts for the past 20 years, usually makes about £3,000, enough to fund the scouts and pay for the following year's display.
However, takings were down last year, fewer people attended and the event just broke even.
Scout leader Mike Watts said the event had been hit for two years running by roadworks.
You may also want to watch:
"Last year, there were traffic tailbacks caused by the traffic lights being installed at Brampton Hut roundabout and the year before that traffic lights were being installed at Spittals.
"Last year, people knew there were long queues and they were not prepared to travel. We had a lot of people who arrived on foot but in previous years, people had travelled for miles to see our fireworks."
- 1 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 2 Fundraising day at St Neots pub
- 3 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 4 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 5 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 8 The changing face of forests and woods in Huntingdonshire
- 9 Huntingdon care home company scoops award in region's top 20
- 10 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
Mr Watts said the event had also been hit last year by the display in Huntingdon at Coneygear Park, which was free.
He said they hoped that the 2008 display would go ahead.
"We have been working away to raise funds so we can put on a good display next year."
The event is the Brampton Scouts' main annual fundraiser.