Schools among best in country
CAMBRIDGESHIRE schools are consistently better than the national average, according to the independent education watchdog Ofsted. New figures reveal Cambridgeshire has a higher proportion of good schools and fewer underperforming schools than the country
CAMBRIDGESHIRE schools are consistently better than the national average, according to the independent education watchdog Ofsted.
New figures reveal Cambridgeshire has a higher proportion of good schools and fewer underperforming schools than the country as a whole.
The statistics from the Office for Standards in Education come after the end of the first term of a new inspection framework.
The new system, which came into effect in September 2005, features shorter inspections, less notice of visits and four new categories of achievement - outstanding, good, satisfactory or inadequate.
You may also want to watch:
Of the new inspections carried out during the autumn term of 2005, 16 per cent of Cambridgeshire schools were judged to be outstanding, compared to 11 per cent nationally: 63 per cent were good, compared to 50 per cent nationally.
No school in Cambridgeshire inspected last term was judged to be inadequate, whereas across the country, nine per cent fell into this category.
- 1 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 2 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 3 'We want to help our market towns' - Funding plans extended due to pandemic
- 4 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 5 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 6 The changing face of forests and woods in Huntingdonshire
- 7 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 8 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 9 New community space opens at Alconbury Weald
- 10 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
Councillor Shona Johnstone, cabinet member for children and young people's services at the county council, said: "Cambridgeshire's schools have always been among the best in the country. Now we have the independent figures to prove it.