School students mean business
FOR the first time in nine years, a team of business savvy pupils at Longsands College have reached the regional finals of the Young Enterprise awards. The team of eight 17-year-olds at the St Neots college, called themselves Oodles after the stress ball
FOR the first time in nine years, a team of business savvy pupils at Longsands College have reached the regional finals of the Young Enterprise awards.
The team of eight 17-year-olds at the St Neots college, called themselves Oodles after the stress ball they designed, manufactured, marketed, and sold as part of the project.
Altogether they have sold 1,000 Oodles for £1 each at school fetes, Milton Keynes Shopping Centre, and the Grafton Centre in Cambridge.
Teacher Martin Paine, who provided guidance for the team, said: "We are absolutely thrilled at getting through to the East Regional Finals.
"It's nice to see a state school do this well and we have never done this well in the whole nine years we have been completing in the competition.
"I believe we have got this far this year because of the dedication and hard work of the entire team.
- 1 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 2 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit
- 3 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 4 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 5 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 6 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 7 Huntingdon is full of Christmas cheer
- 8 Could you give these pets a home?
- 9 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 10 Club of the Week: St Ives u3a who have celebrated their 10-year anniversary
"They have excelled in every area of the business - from selling to accounting they have turned out to be real entrepreneurs."
The pupils set up their company in September, and started selling their products in October.
The team consists of managing director Helen Wales, who was also given a businesswoman award, Natalie La Pare, Michelle La Pare, Sara I, Liane Tillcock, James Martin, Drew Pountney, and Kathryn Powell.
The regional final of the HSBC/Young Enterprise Innovation Awards will take place at Rockingham Motor Speedway, Corby, Northants on Friday June 23.
If Oodles is successful then it will go through to represent the East Midlands at the national finals in July.
INFORMATION: To find out more visit www.young-enterprise.org.uk