Scheme’s Major backing
DAME Norma Major formally launched a new Welcome Home from Hospital scheme last week. The scheme, run by Huntingdonshire Care Network, supplies volunteers to help people settle back home when they return home from hospital. There are already 20 volunteer
DAME Norma Major formally launched a new Welcome Home from Hospital scheme last week.
The scheme, run by Huntingdonshire Care Network, supplies volunteers to help people settle back home when they return home from hospital.
There are already 20 volunteers working for the scheme who become a "friend for a fortnight".
They offer help as soon as a person arrives home and will check to see that they are coping and offer to do shopping, collect prescriptions, collect pensions or just have a general chat.
You may also want to watch:
They are also available for women who have just returned home from hospital after having a baby and leaflets about the service are about to go in packs given out in maternity wards.
The volunteers have health and safety training, they are police checked and carry an identification badge.
- 1 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 2 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 3 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 6 First post-lockdown Parkrun in St Neots held in memory of four runners
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 9 Roman millstone with 2,000-year-old engraving of penis to go on display
- 10 New plans on the horizon for Black Cat Radio
Launching the scheme at Houghton and Wyton Memorial Hall on Tuesday night, by cutting a special cake, Dame Norma said the world would grind to a halt without volunteers and it was nice to see what a little Lottery funding could do.
The scheme has received £140,000 to fund three part-time workers over three years and pay for volunteers' expenses.
Co-ordinator, Jan Kaneen said: "We would like to see a volunteer in every village because they do such brilliant work."
INFORMATION: To ask for help or to volunteer, contact 01480 496620.