Say hello to the cartoon character!
THE youngest professional cartoonist in Britain, Sarah-Louise Woodland, aged 17, will be teaching at a summer school at Huntingdonshire Regional College. The teenager has had her cartoons published in national newspapers and designed a Christmas card for
THE youngest professional cartoonist in Britain, Sarah-Louise Woodland, aged 17, will be teaching at a summer school at Huntingdonshire Regional College.
The teenager has had her cartoons published in national newspapers and designed a Christmas card for Helen Clarke, the former Labour MP for Peterborough.
Sarah-Louise, a pupil at John Mansfield School in Peterborough, has had more than 70 of her cartoons published and has appeared on radio and television.
She said: "I have been sketching all my life but I decided to join the Anglo-American Cartoonists Guild and become a professional."
Sarah-Louise's father, an American who has lived in Britain for 20 years and was once stationed at Alconbury, is also a cartoonist who has worked for Disney.
Sarah-Louise says she starts with the joke and then draws out the cartoon until she is happy with it.
- 1 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 2 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in their village
- 3 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 4 13-year-old helped to rescue distressed paddleboarders
- 5 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 6 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 7 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 8 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
- 9 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 10 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
"I keep a pad near me and as soon as I think of something that would make a cartoon, I get it down."
She will teach a small group at the summer school. She said: "I will start by teaching the class how to draw hands and feet and eyes and different parts of the body structure. We will also draw animals.
"I want to show the class how they can open up their potential."
INFORMATION: The summer school art class at Huntingdonshire Regional College runs from July 31 to August 4. Places are limited. Call the college on 01480 379100.