Say hello to the cartoon character!
THE youngest professional cartoonist in Britain, Sarah-Louise Woodland, aged 17, will be teaching at a summer school at Huntingdonshire Regional College. The teenager has had her cartoons published in national newspapers and designed a Christmas card for
THE youngest professional cartoonist in Britain, Sarah-Louise Woodland, aged 17, will be teaching at a summer school at Huntingdonshire Regional College.
The teenager has had her cartoons published in national newspapers and designed a Christmas card for Helen Clarke, the former Labour MP for Peterborough.
Sarah-Louise, a pupil at John Mansfield School in Peterborough, has had more than 70 of her cartoons published and has appeared on radio and television.
She said: "I have been sketching all my life but I decided to join the Anglo-American Cartoonists Guild and become a professional."
Sarah-Louise's father, an American who has lived in Britain for 20 years and was once stationed at Alconbury, is also a cartoonist who has worked for Disney.
Sarah-Louise says she starts with the joke and then draws out the cartoon until she is happy with it.
- 1 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 House set alight in Brampton
- 4 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 5 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer
- 8 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 9 Sawtry homes plan is approved
- 10 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
"I keep a pad near me and as soon as I think of something that would make a cartoon, I get it down."
She will teach a small group at the summer school. She said: "I will start by teaching the class how to draw hands and feet and eyes and different parts of the body structure. We will also draw animals.
"I want to show the class how they can open up their potential."
INFORMATION: The summer school art class at Huntingdonshire Regional College runs from July 31 to August 4. Places are limited. Call the college on 01480 379100.