Sawtry cops and robbers support village church
LAW AND ORDER: Anglia Co-operative’s Sawtry foodstore was overrun with cops and robbers. But there was no cause for alarm – the ‘major incident’ was the latest fundraiser staged by the store for All Saints’ Church in the village.
Staff dressed as cops and robbers and collected �212.72 from generous customers – bringing the total they have raised during a year of fundraising for the church to �712.45.
Over the past 12 months staff have donned a variety of fancy dress outfits and also ran a stall at the village carnival.
Store manager Hayley Bewick said: “We adopt a cause for 12 months and decided we wanted to support All Saints Church because it is such an important ingredient of the village. A lot of people in the village supported our efforts really well.”
Churchwarden Pete Ayres said: “We can’t thank the store enough for all that they have done. It’s very kind and the money will go a long way to helping us to keep the church running. In today’s climate and with dwindling congregations it can be very difficult for churches to make ends meet.”
You may also want to watch:
All Saints Church is currently without a clergyman and is being run by its churchwardens and the parochial church council. It was dedicated in 1880 and has its regular services - plus weddings, baptisms and funerals – handled by visiting clergy.
* Staff are eagerly anticipating a move to their new store in Glatton Road in mid-October. The current store in Green End Road will be converted into a funeral home, opening in January 2012.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Seven of the prettiest villages in Huntingdonshire
- 3 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 4 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
- 5 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 6 Roman millstone with 2,000-year-old engraving of penis to go on display
- 7 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 8 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 9 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 10 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter