Safety in salon
A campaign has been launched to help protect hairdressers from potentially debilitating skin diseases. Cases of dermatitis are almost 20 times higher in hairdressers than any other professions because safety regulations are often ignored, environmental he
A campaign has been launched to help protect hairdressers from potentially debilitating skin diseases.
Cases of dermatitis are almost 20 times higher in hairdressers than any other professions because safety regulations are often ignored, environmental health officers claim.
Huntingdonshire District Council launched the campaign, to ensure that businesses are protecting the health of their staff.
Dermatitis can be contracted through wet working and by handling products containing chemicals, such as peroxide or shampoo. It can cause the skin to swell, redden, blister, flake or itch.
You may also want to watch:
The easiest way to prevent the condition is for hairdressers to wear protective gloves when washing customers' hair.
Dr Susan Lammin, head of environmental and community health services, said: "It is very important to encourage good health and safety practices at work for hairdressers.
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 3 Day of action at Camp Beagle as protesters demand release of puppies
- 4 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 5 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 6 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 7 Strictly's Anton and Giovanni dazzle in sensational return to live theatre
- 8 Plea for caution as Covid-19 rates rise
- 9 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 10 Is this striking 20ft palm tree the biggest in Huntingdonshire?
"Education is key as it's important that hairdressers know how to protect themselves, what to look out for and what to do if they develop a skin problem."
Our picture shows environmental health officer Keith Lawson, right, joined by Rose Thompson, a hairdressing lecturer at Huntingdonshire Regional College, and David Head, Health and Safety Executive inspector for the East of England.