Road closures planned for essential maintenance work on 13-mile stretch of A1(M)
- Credit: Archant
Highways England will be starting essential repair work on a three-mile stretch of the A1(M) on May 11.
The work is due to take place over four weeks between May 11 and June 8 and will see reconstruction of the road, including resurfacing, renewal of the road markings and improvements to drainage. It will be carried out on the A1(M) southbound between junctions 17 (Peterborough) and 16 (Yaxley). In addition to this, the agency will carry out repairs to the safety barrier, clear gullies and cut back overgrown vegetation along this stretch of motorway.
Highways England project manager, Annette Hodgman, said: “Safety is our top priority, and following earlier surveys of the motorway we realised the need to act to carry out these repairs to ensure it could remain safe for drivers, while also providing smooth journeys.
“We’re committed to minimising disruption for drivers, so most of the work we’ll be doing will be overnight, so that the 60,000 drivers who use this stretch of road every day are not inconvenienced.”
Once completed, this work will ensure that the road and safety barriers are of an improved standard and do not need similar repairs for the next eight years.
“During our work, lane one (the inside lane) of the A1(M) will be closed from Saturdays to Thursdays, with the other lane widths narrowed to accommodate this. The motorway itself will be closed southbound overnight between the two junctions from 9pm to 5am from:
May 11 - 12; May 17-18, May 18-19, May 24-25, May 29-June 1, and June 4-8.
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 4 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 5 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 8 Councillors vote to continue school transport for special needs schools
- 9 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 10 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
While this stretch of the motorway is closed, there will be a diversion route in place and drivers will take the A1139 towards Peterborough, then the A1260 southbound to continue on the A15 until reaching junction 16 to re-join the A1(M).
The southbound exit slip road of junction 16 will also be closed from 9pm on May 11 till 5am on May 25. Drivers will be diverted to continue along the A1(M) to junction 15, exit and return northbound on the A1(M) return to junction 16.
The entry slip road at the same junction will be closed from 9pm till 5am on May 18 and on May 24. Drivers will be diverted to take the B1043 towards Stilton to join the A1(M) at junction 15.
More than 60,000 vehicles use this 13-mile stretch of the A1(M) between Alconbury and Peterborough on average every day, with almost a quarter of that traffic being freight.