Road closures as Tour of Cambridgeshire pedals through district this weekend
- Credit: Archant
A number of roads will be closed around Huntingdonshire this weekend as the Tour of Cambridgeshire takes place.
Thousands of riders are set to descend on the county to take part in the event which offers competitors the chance to qualify for the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships.
Along with an elite race, the event is open to all cyclists who want to experience a closed roads ride - to safely race friends and family, or to have a leisurely cycle on the roads of Cambridgeshire.
The annual cycle will take place on Saturday, June 3, and Sunday, June 4, with a list of roads closed to allow for a smooth race.
Saturday’s Endura Chrono will run over a 16.5mile course to allow those taking part the chance to qualify for the worlds.
The race starts at 9am, in Peterborough, and will affect the A605 Oundle Road, Bullock Road, Morbourne Road, Manor Road, Washingley Road and Washingley Lane.
On Sunday for the Gran Fondo and Medio Fondo the race will affect roads in Peterborough before it moves through to Folksworth, Alconbury, around Ramsey, Whittlesey, Yaxley and finishes back in Peterborough.
- 1 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 2 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 3 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 4 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 5 A "determined" Huntingdon man takes on Everest after a double lung transplant
- 6 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 7 Recap: Lorry and car crash at A141-A1307 junction in Huntingdon
- 8 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 9 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 10 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
The mass participation event will be run over a 79.3mile course and has a maximum capacity of 8,000 rides.
It is expected that roads affected will be open by 8pm on both days.
For more information, go to www.golazocycling.com/Tour_of_Cambridgeshire/Road_Closures_at_tour_of_Cambridgeshire.php.