Road closures as Tour of Cambridgeshire pedals through district this weekend
- Credit: Archant
A number of roads will be closed around Huntingdonshire this weekend as the Tour of Cambridgeshire takes place.
Thousands of riders are set to descend on the county to take part in the event which offers competitors the chance to qualify for the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships.
Along with an elite race, the event is open to all cyclists who want to experience a closed roads ride - to safely race friends and family, or to have a leisurely cycle on the roads of Cambridgeshire.
The annual cycle will take place on Saturday, June 3, and Sunday, June 4, with a list of roads closed to allow for a smooth race.
Saturday’s Endura Chrono will run over a 16.5mile course to allow those taking part the chance to qualify for the worlds.
The race starts at 9am, in Peterborough, and will affect the A605 Oundle Road, Bullock Road, Morbourne Road, Manor Road, Washingley Road and Washingley Lane.
On Sunday for the Gran Fondo and Medio Fondo the race will affect roads in Peterborough before it moves through to Folksworth, Alconbury, around Ramsey, Whittlesey, Yaxley and finishes back in Peterborough.
- 1 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 4 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 5 Ex-wife of killer Colin Hill shares rape ordeal more than 30 years on
- 6 Overwhelming response to MND charity walk
- 7 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 8 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer
- 9 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
- 10 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
The mass participation event will be run over a 79.3mile course and has a maximum capacity of 8,000 rides.
It is expected that roads affected will be open by 8pm on both days.
For more information, go to www.golazocycling.com/Tour_of_Cambridgeshire/Road_Closures_at_tour_of_Cambridgeshire.php.