Road closures as Tour of Cambridgeshire pedals through district this weekend
- Credit: Archant
A number of roads will be closed around Huntingdonshire this weekend as the Tour of Cambridgeshire takes place.
Thousands of riders are set to descend on the county to take part in the event which offers competitors the chance to qualify for the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships.
Along with an elite race, the event is open to all cyclists who want to experience a closed roads ride - to safely race friends and family, or to have a leisurely cycle on the roads of Cambridgeshire.
The annual cycle will take place on Saturday, June 3, and Sunday, June 4, with a list of roads closed to allow for a smooth race.
Saturday’s Endura Chrono will run over a 16.5mile course to allow those taking part the chance to qualify for the worlds.
You may also want to watch:
The race starts at 9am, in Peterborough, and will affect the A605 Oundle Road, Bullock Road, Morbourne Road, Manor Road, Washingley Road and Washingley Lane.
On Sunday for the Gran Fondo and Medio Fondo the race will affect roads in Peterborough before it moves through to Folksworth, Alconbury, around Ramsey, Whittlesey, Yaxley and finishes back in Peterborough.
- 1 Huntingdon home to one of the most 'luxurious' breakfasts in the UK
- 2 Giant elephant and free rides at Huntingdon Fun Day
- 3 Sewer network improvements in £600k investment for St Neots
- 4 Four dogs rescued after being abandoned on A14
- 5 Pigeons still roosting on old A14 bridge despite preventative mesh
- 6 Huntingdon 'predator' jailed for raping woman at his home
- 7 Widow, 80, cleans blocked drain in Buckden after 'several floods'
- 8 Visiting to resume at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 Group charged in connection with Rutland Cycling burglary
- 10 Rural theft cost Cambridgeshire £2 million in 2020
The mass participation event will be run over a 79.3mile course and has a maximum capacity of 8,000 rides.
It is expected that roads affected will be open by 8pm on both days.
For more information, go to www.golazocycling.com/Tour_of_Cambridgeshire/Road_Closures_at_tour_of_Cambridgeshire.php.