Riverside - less is more
J HILTON S letter about improvements to Huntingdon s Riverside (November 19) says it all. Regrettably, there are those at the district council who are determined to push ahead with their ridiculous plans. Having spent a bucket-load on consultants, they no
J HILTON'S letter about improvements to Huntingdon's Riverside (November 19) says it all. Regrettably, there are those at the district council who are determined to push ahead with their ridiculous plans. Having spent a bucket-load on consultants, they now have to justify this costly expenditure. Many of the proposals, which the budget will allow, will probably be presented to cabinet regardless.
In 1967, the land between Bridgefoot House and the boatyard was commandeered by the county council for the ring road, with the remainder to be developed as walks and gardens, eventually incorporating all the land between the river and the ring road from the bridge to Hartford.
The then Cromwell Residents' Association had to overcome many difficulties during the campaign to ensure that the initial proposals for formal areas were kept. There is no reason to spoil it with gazebos, fountains, statues, bandstands or anything else.
There has been much controversy over this area. It is not vast acres to sustain the grandiose schemes but a long, not over-wide, area. Here is a prime example of when less is more.
A B PAYTON
- 1 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 2 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 3 Motion passed to send letter to Michael Gove after objections to incinerator plan
- 4 New bridal shop is childhood dream for Michelle
- 5 Community help plant new trees in St Neots park
- 6 Lack of NHS dentists see people resorting to 'Victorian' teeth pulling
- 7 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 8 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 9 Home of the week: Updated Victorian semi-detached house with garden for sale in St Neots
- 10 Trainee chef reaches finals of national competition