Rita’ has got it all wrong
THE crime of Rita is so well known in Ramsey that the name change fails to disguise her identity. She appears to have missed the whole point of the penal system. Elements of it may attempt to rehabilitate recidivists. However it also has the function o
THE crime of "Rita" is so well known in Ramsey that the name change fails to disguise her identity.
She appears to have missed the whole point of the penal system. Elements of it may attempt to rehabilitate recidivists. However it also has the function of punishment and deterrence.
Without these elements criminals would carry on with impunity. The judge in "Rita's" case was in full possession of all the facts surrounding her crime and he was in a position to judge a suitable punishment.
He/she will have taken into account the nature of the crime, its impact on the victim and issues such as remorse and likelihood of re-offending.
Miss JANE MILLER
- 1 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 2 Drugs uncovered in Huntingdon home
- 3 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 4 Drug Dealer from Huntingdon has been sentenced
- 5 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 6 London Luton Airport and NATS will go ahead with Huntingdonshire flight path
- 7 Crafty Monkey is encouraging people to shop local this winter
- 8 Updated details of the Christmas lights switch-on in St Neots
- 9 Steve's Taxis has donated more than £20,000 to Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 10 Man dies following crash on A1198 near St Ives last month
I AM disappointed that an article which started off so promisingly about life in prison should descend into a self-pitying platform for someone who appears to take her own importance too seriously.
Rita is someone who committed a serious crime and for whom community service is obviously not suitable.
Of course the community pays for prison - it also pays for schools and hospitals. That is a fact of life and taxes. Community service is not a cheap option and should never be seen as such.
If prisons are overcrowded, that is for the Government to solve - early release should not be considered a long-term solution.
(formemrly of Somersham and still hit on your website.)
I WAS disgusted at Rita's attitude. I am a victim of crime and found her statements offensive. Does she want sympathy? She is a criminal and the tag is a punishment. It is not there because they feel she is dangerous.
I am sick of hearing about the rights of prisoners and early release due to overcrowding - they need to build more prisons not release people early.
Mrs A KNOWLES