Review: Ezio back at home
CULT Cambridge acoustic band Ezio stopped off back home for two shows as part of their current tour on Thursday. Sometimes appearing as a full five-piece band, last week s run of two nights at the intimate Boat House in Cambridge saw them perform as a thr
CULT Cambridge acoustic band Ezio stopped off back home for two shows as part of their current tour on Thursday. Sometimes appearing as a full five-piece band, last week's run of two nights at the intimate Boat House in Cambridge saw them perform as a three-piece.
Frontman Ezio Lunedei and lead guitarist Mark "Booga" Fowell have such an understanding on stage it's sometimes difficult to imagine how other musicians would fit in to this rare partnership, although Lee "the reverend" Russell on additional guitar, percussion and random noises added the finishing touches to an already complex sound.
I've been fortunate enough to have caught the band many times, but the joy of an Ezio gig is the unpredictability and spontaneous nature of the performances. In a stripped-down line-up, this is taken to the extreme at times. Of the two hours they performed, at least half an hour was taken up by Lunedei's banter with the crowd.
Perhaps the most comfortable, personal performer I've ever seen, random anecdotes and explanations of the songs demonstrated an artist clearly at home with his audience. Of course, when they did get around to the music, it was absolutely spot-on. New material was showcased alongside their more popular material, in particular the amazing Deeper from the 1997 album Diesel Vanilla. As ever, the band ended with a storming version of 59 Yards, which was written by fellow Cambridge songwriter Boo Hewerdine.
Since their debut release back in 1993, two major labels, six studio albums and countless world tours finds Ezio perhaps on the commercial slide, but still as hungry as ever to entertain their dedicated army of followers.
- 1 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 House set alight in Brampton
- 4 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 5 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer
- 8 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 9 Sawtry homes plan is approved
- 10 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000