Resignation call over St Neots council loan error
IN your article about troubles at St Neots Town Council (SNTC) (June 24), Councillor Derek Giles tries to blame the extra �10,000 in audit fees on the error of the loan. There was far more wrong at SNTC than just the loan. The auditor found SNTC was unabl
IN your article about troubles at St Neots Town Council (SNTC) (June 24), Councillor Derek Giles tries to blame the extra �10,000 in audit fees on the error of the loan. There was far more wrong at SNTC than just the loan. The auditor found SNTC was unable to manage our taxpayers' money because it did not know what was going on.
A previous deputy town clerk who ran the accounts has left and the town clerk has also left so i cannot find council officers who should be sacked. But the politicians in charge are still there. Cllr Derek Giles and Cllr Gordon Thorpe (now town mayor) were leader and deputy leader of the council and of the ruling Liberal Democrat group.
Further, once the town clerk had resigned, the town council should have filled this position with immediate effect. Instead, the then town council leadership left the position open for six months. This action resulted in further criticism of the town council by the auditor.
I feel the politicians who are in charge should also be responsible and, because Cllr Giles and Thorpe were in charge at the time the town council was falling apart, both should resign from the town council, immediately.
- 1 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 4 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 5 Ex-wife of killer Colin Hill shares rape ordeal more than 30 years on
- 6 Overwhelming response to MND charity walk
- 7 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer
- 8 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
- 9 House set alight in Brampton
- 10 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge